Sunday, April 3, 2016

ready or not, fugees

recently I was listening to music on my car radio and heard the fugees song 'ready or not'. what got my attention was the line 'defecate on your microphone'. I was thinking to myself, 'did they really sing that? yes they did.' but I also understand that isn't a swear word so it is one way around the censors. another line I liked was 'born again hooligan' and 'I could do what you do' along with 'I play my enemies like a game of chess'. with rap I like how I do pick up many of the references. in this song this included porgy and bess, Elliot ness, al capone, buffalo soldier, and cassius clay. the Wikipedia article said it was a hit in 1996. I might have heard it before but hard to say. I know this was a year of transition for me, as I was unemployed for 3 1/2 months and finally got a job just weeks before Christmas. I had heard of the band before, as I recalled how an alternate name was 'refugee camp'. I did notice how the band's name was spelled with letters that looked like the same ones from 'the godfather' movies.
     I was active for much of the day. I went to the university and saw the first game of a baseball doubleheader between my school, the iowa hawkeyes, and the home team, the Minnesota gophers. the hawkeyes won the lidlifter, 6-3. I found out later on that the gophers won the second game, by the same score of 6-3. with the game I saw the hawkeyes went ahead 6-1 with a big 4-run inning in the 5th. Minnesota narrowed the margin in the 9th. I ate at the nearby mcdonald's in dinkytown after the game. I wanted to get to the comedy club and perform so that is why I only attended the first game. I did one joke about getting a text message and it wasn't my birthday, along with one about being rejected by big brothers big sisters. I liked hearing 'when the levee breaks' by led zeppelin coming from the bar area but it was hard to hear the lyrics. I had hoped to hear the end part where they say 'get to chicago'. in the evening it was nice to see another prime time episode of 'the simpsons', first time in a few months I think as I was busy at an open-mic during that time slot. it was one about the relationship between smithers and burns. another plot was a parody of the movie 'casablanca', the school play, with lisa as the leading lady.  

No comments:

Post a Comment