Monday, April 25, 2016

speed dating, resumed

tonight I am did a speed dating event for the first time in years. I did it a few times in suburban Chicago, then continued after moving to the twin cities in 2004. but I wasn't meeting anyone and got annoyed with a 'dating coach' I was referred to who insulted me. they didn't care about me as a person, just wanted to be paid. I said I needed more than 3 minutes to wow someone, that was why I quit. but this was before I started doing stand-up, in 2008. so now if somebody gives me a microphone and 3 minutes I can wow people. so I am hopeful to get better results this time. I heard about this event from Belarus, he must be the event coordinator. I had to pass on it before due to scheduling conflicts. it did mean a variation on my typical schedule, as one club I just didn't go to as I wanted to be on time for this event. but it was over in time to get to another one where I get more stage time anyway. so it didn't mean taking a full night off from performing. but this was fine, as sometimes I do need to pursue other activities as I am anything but one-dimensional.
   I didn't get business cards or phone numbers for anyone, but it felt good to try this again. most of the attendees were just looking for friends. and some I liked talking to more than others. I did get asked my opinion of the event, by the lady of the event coordinator. I said I was likely to try it again. it made it less fun as there were some no-shows, but I don't know what can be done about that. there was a comedy show before the speed dating began, sub teacher was performing. it was proof how I could match wits with the best of them as I could hear him saying things about me while I was in the bathroom, which was behind the stage. I did respond to some of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment