Saturday, April 2, 2016

I saw the light movie

this afternoon I went to see the hank Williams bio-pic, 'I saw the light', at the Edina theater. what made it way easier to attend it was knowing my original plan fell through. I wanted to see the iowa/Minnesota baseball game but it was postponed due to weather. as expected, I liked the music more than the rest of the story. it was tough to see his volatile marriage depicted, but it was a story that needed to be told. one lasting impression was a scene where he was playing with the garage door opener. I am still not sure why this made me laugh. the three Hank songs I know best are in this movie. this includes 'hey good lookin', 'so lonesome I could cry', and 'jambalaya/on the bayou'. 'lonesome' I discovered when I heard a cover of it on a cowboy junkies CD. many of his songs hve been recorded by other musicians. the movie served as a reminder of my visit to the rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland in 2002 as some of his outfits were there. he was credited with influencing early rock musicians. I liked the interview he did, when he said 'everybody has a little darkness in them. I am talking about anger, misery, sorrow, shame'. as a performer I find these words to be profound, and relatable. I liked reading a promotional sign on an easel after seeing the movie, it looked like it was straight from a new York times article. it does mention earlier hank movies, like a Canadian film from 2005 called 'hank Williams first nation'. or 'the show he never gave, saw it when I was young, sounds like it was based on a play. I found out from it how there is another hank bio-pic, called 'your cheatin heart', from 1964. after the movie I spoke with a lady from Faribault who was seeing a later showing than me. it was a big deal how she traveled at least 50 miles to see it.
   I moved up doing laundry to this evening so I have the chance to see one of those college baseball games on sunday as it is now a double-header. I went to small world's comedy show after that. it was funny to see one comic after the show confused with school bouncer. the button, and the Wisconsin guy, were two other performers at this show that I knew.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment