Sunday, July 31, 2016

hymn for the weekend, coldplay and beyonce

I keep finding songs that force me to take notice when I first hear them on my car radio. today it was 'hymn for the weekend' by coldplay and beyonce. for me the hook was hearing 'so high' repeated, and I wondered if it was coldplay, and it was. I had seen them in concert in Milwaukee in 2006. though I didn't hear the parts by beyonce much until I found the video on youtube. there are many catchy lyrics in it. for me it starts with 'when I was down, when I was hurt, you came to lift me up'. also profound is 'life is a drink, love is a drug'. kind of weird how I also heard 'your love is my drug' by kesha at midday, a reminder of visiting the Carolinas in 2010. it looks like beyonce starts out the song, with lyrics like 'shoot across the sky', and 'symphony'. the video ends with fireworks, and this makes sense to have the 'shoot across the sky' lyric in it. and it has happy multi-colored children running around in India, and part of it takes places in a movie theater where beyonce is an actress. as usual, I liked how finding it online wasn't a problem. I had enough key words, like 'angels sent from up above' and 'got me feeling drunk and high'. this is understood to be a love song, and I like the choice of the title. the main thing I liked about attending church, when I did on a regular basis, was the music, the hymns, we sang. even the album by the band 'the verve' was called 'urban hymns'.
   there was two notable things about the day. the first was going to the weisman museum at the u of Minnesota as it was the last day of the 'cowboys and Indians' andy Warhol art exhibit. I had seen it in may but didn't get many pictures then, I was low on memory space. since then I got another memory card, so at midday I went there and got pictures of all of this exhibit. I was there long enough to do this and then I left, about 15 minutes tops. I wanted to get to uptown Minneapolis for a tech rehearsal for the fringe play I am in. good thing I did the museum first, so I was less anxious to get out by a certain time. I had a small role but I liked getting the practice in, as I did my set twice. I made it to the donut show after it but it had just ended, as expected. in the evening I went out to get some of the cards advertising the show on display at bulletin boards. I had some ideas from when I was hanging signs for the 10k laughs festival in 2014. I went to six places- two caribous, a dunn brothers, a grocery store, a Panera bread, and a music shop. some places were closed but I made a note of their hours and can go back when they are open. I should be able to get all the cards distributed before our first show, on Saturday afternoon. I can get some more to some people at the office. I will keep at least one for my comedy binder, which helps document my career. I may keep two, so one can see both sides of the card. it is what I did at these bulletin boards, and I know others did the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment