Sunday, January 1, 2017

let it roll, charlie daniels band

I found another song that captures well how I feel about performing. it is 'let it roll' by the Charlie daniels band. after a show last night I spoke of this song to a crowd member, but couldn't think of the title. I just knew that one line in it was about 'being good at only one thing'. the actual line was 'I never was good for anything at all/except for playing kinda loud'. and a later one is much like it: 'it never did get me anywhere at all/but it makes me kinda proud'. other lines were relatable. 'I could feel it in my feet/hear it in my head' and 'let it roll/let it flood down to your soul'. I recalled attending a no doubt concert in 2002 when I lived in suburban Chicago where I could how loud it was with my feet after one song, probably 'just a girl'. and I stayed grounded during my college graduation in iowa city by playing pearl jam and gin blossoms songs in my head. another line reminded me of another time when I spoke about performing after a show, to a crowd member that bought me a beer. I downplayed the importance of what I do onstage, and he said 'I needed to laugh'. it reminded me of the line 'if you got any troubles/just tune on in/cause it will ease away your pain'. I just thought of it as easing away MINE. the song starts off with advice from his dad. I don't know what advice my dad gave me, aside from 'don't follow in my footsteps at the maytag plant, you will get laid off'. I heard this song when I was young as a classmate liked this band. I did get the album as an LP record at first as I recall, 'decade of hits', and now I have it on CD. I have seen this band perform twice, both at free shows. first was the DuPage county fair in wheaton, IL, when I lived in the area. the other was at taste of Minnesota, after I moved to the twin cities.
   I did attend the bears-Vikings football game, a season-ending game. the Vikings won 38-10, bears had no chance at all, never led in it, too many turnovers. during my walks I found 46 cents, 3 dimes and 16 pennies. it of course went into my change bank. I wanted to do more, but I am ill, battling a cold. I got some cough drops before the football game, but I am still coughing a lot. some things I have struggled to do today, not having the energy, I have had to push myself some more. hopefully things will turn around soon. I hate being laid up over the weekend, but at least it is still better than missing some workdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment