Saturday, October 14, 2017

all eyez on me movie

this afternoon I watched the movie 'all eyez on me', a bio-pic about rapper/actor tupac shakur. I have heard the old adage of 'live by the sword, die by the sword' and it seems to apply here. it is mostly a series of interviews while in prison, and I liked this different way of telling the story compared to most bio-pics that I have seen. but this movie is still violent and has plenty of drama, so at times it was hard to watch. I am familiar with how these kinds of movies have a disclaimer saying 'some scenes and characters were invented for dramatic effect' and I have a good idea which of these scenes would fit this description. I had seen 'straight out of compton' so I liked the connection between these two movies as it does cover Tupac's time with death row records. I do recall how his death-being murdered in las vegas in 1996- was a big deal. I also recall clipping an article about the 1996 MTV video music awards, as it had a photo of the band smashing pumpkins with it. and the last line of the article mentioned tupac. 'where's shakur?' an officer said hurriedly. although this was during the time when I was unemployed for 3 1/2 months after I graduated from college, so I try not to remind myself about that time too much. they did cover many of the movies he was in, but I don't think I have seen any of them. will have to check IMDB to see what they all are, and see if any of them interest me. I had also seen 'notorious' about the rapper known as 'notorious BIG' so I was a little familiar with this rapper as well, and he is part of the tupac story as well.
    this was my last day at the office, done around 12noon. not much to do on the last day, much like a last day when I travel somewhere. check out of the hotel and get on the road. and of course pack up. I had more than expected to pack up, a box and a bag. I still threw out some more items as they just didn't fit in what I had, and I abandoned a few items as well, leaving them in the main breakroom. I knew I would leave behind the two spider plants, no space for them at home and probably not enough light for them to keep growing. there was goodbyes all around, and I exchanged business cards with an I.T. man who had spent time in texas. there was a line to turn in your badge and the signed severance form, so I waited a while to get in line, finally near 12noon. I wanted to see that all things were in order, such as forwarding some messages to my Hotmail account. and getting things set up for my benefits, so I can access the website away from work. that meant changing the password. and it meant my 'work spouse' was helpful one last time, by forwarding something to me about the benefits. got a card from a colleague that is from iowa like me, we did bridge walks and WII dancing together. I said I will be fine, as I can afford to turn down bad job offers. and I do have an interview already scheduled for Monday. as I was walking through the skyway, I stopped at the metro transit location to check the balance on a card I had and I was pleased to find out there still was $23 on it. so I have something that works even though the other one will be inactive now. also notable was talking to our security guard as I was leaving and I spoke of performing, and she said she cries when hearing 'under pressure' by david bowie and queen, the song I said I did when at a karaoke bar the night before. so more evidence of how performing is a good thing for me, as people take notice.
  I found things to do in the evening, went to a high school football game in north st. paul. robbinsdale cooper won 46-7, it was 25-7 at the half. it was homecoming for north. I liked the senior girls dancing at midfield at halftime, a reason why I like going this game each year. I would have liked having this much confidence to dance in front of others at that age. also spoke with somebody who drove a bus for cooper, he said he was a truck driver for the star tribune paper for a while but had retired from that job a few years back. and I found my way to a karaoke venue after the game, and performed 'life is a highway' by tom Cochrane. it was one of two songs I heard when getting into my car to get to a holiday gas station in the afternoon. the other was 'water under the bridge' by adele. so they will remind me of my last day, much like 'this love' by maroon 5 does of my last day at my job in suburban Chicago back in early 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment