Wednesday, October 18, 2017

dixie chicks, shut up and sing

I am still fine with enjoying being 'on vacation' and it means more movies from the library. actually this time it was three. first was a documentary about mary tyler moore, from 2015 on public TV, better than what was aired this year just after she died. then there was 'shut up and sing', about the Dixie chicks and the controversy after front-woman natalie maines saying she was ashamed that the president, George w. bush, was from texas as the second Iraq war was about to begin. plenty of interviews in it, and some footage from concerts as well. I do have one of their CDs, the one called 'home' and have sang one of their songs at a karaoke bar. it was 'long time gone', I liked how many country singers were name-checked in it. I liked how it showed their perspective of the controversy and fallout from it. but those of you that know me best know I like documentaries.
   I returned them and got two more, and watched one of them already. it was 'fastball', as a big fan of baseball I was pleased to find it. and yep, another documentary. I have met one of the players in it, rich gossage. he was signing autographs at a st. paul saints game a few years back. he was honored by the iowa cubs when he became a hall of fame inductee, as he played for the triple-A des moines team when they were the iowa oaks, and a white sox team.
   also made it to the performance venue, and spoke of what I had been doing in the past week, as usual. so it meant mention of watching the movies, but also Oktoberfest and seeing a panhandler on the way to the venue, and  a version of 'wish you were here'.

No comments:

Post a Comment