Friday, October 27, 2017

get over it, eagles

I saw a facebook posting from the d.c. native tonight and he spoke of this being the golden age of victim culture. I asked if that was the 1990s, and offered up 'get over it', a song by the eagles, as evidence. since it includes lyrics such as 'don't blame me, victim of this, victim of that, billy (Shakespeare) was right, kill all the lawyers, the world don't owe you a thing'. he said social media has led to the victim culture surpassing the 90's, as it is now traded like currency. I said I was giving him that one, as the song was around before the internet became a big thing. I still see the song as relevant though, in many ways timeless, especially when it starts with mention of 'turning on the TV' much like another social commentary song I really like, 'sign of the times' by prince.
   this started out as a low-energy day, as I was still smarting over the job rejection of the previous day. I shared my frustrations with a mentor that I hadn't spoken with in two weeks. it prompted me to schedule an appointment with an employment agency that I had spoken with earlier this month. it was a little disappointing how two job leads appear to be with a company I had already applied with, but has yet to invite me for an interview. hard to follow and remember and understand all of the stupid rules of job searching. especially when I thought letting my HR contact know when I've applied would give me a leg up, but it largely hasn't when I've had just one interview in the past two weeks.
    but then what happened? I applied with the last of the five job fair companies from last month, three separate applications, one was an outright rejection but another led to an invite for a phone interview. of course I was surprised to hear this. another sent an email, so at least I had more options than I did.
   eventually after I got home from the appointment I decided to lay down and fell asleep for a while. then I knew it was time to get up and find dinner somewhere, and I got a sandwich on the way to a haunted house, fright farm in Maplewood, at the ramsey county complex where the fair is in the summer, in the month of july. it was helpful to go early, arriving just after it opened for the night, at 7pm. also what kept the crowd down some, I would expect, is being colder due to snowfall. I was in and out by 7:30, so I was thankful to have more time this evening before I attended another event. I went to the tim Horton's donut shop in the same town, arriving just before closing time, and got some pumpkin spice coffee with a donut. a couple arrived just after I did, odd that they left their car running while going inside, something that I wouldn't do.
   the second event was a burlesque show, and as usual there was some re-used ideas there. but some new ones as well, which I said were brilliant. and one dancer arrived in a purple outfit, and I said it sounded like a prince song and it was, 'pussy control' (or p. control). I was still kind of hungry after the show so I found another sandwich on the way home. there was a part of the crowd that was in the bar area waiting for a concert to begin at the adjacent venue. some had Halloween costumes on, and some were inspired by 'the simpsons' such as mayor quimby.

No comments:

Post a Comment