Sunday, October 22, 2017

saving brinton movie

tonight I went to see a movie at st. Anthony main in Minneapolis, 'saving brinton'. it is about an iowa man that 'inherited' a big collection, including some long-lost movies from the silent era. as an iowa native I figured there would something I would enjoy about this documentary, and I was right. I liked seeing how my college, the university of iowa, helped with this story. I read about this movie in the Friday edition of the star tribune and figured this kind of film doesn't get long at theaters, often just one week. so I needed to see it now. loved the tie he was wearing, depicting the famous grant wood painting 'American gothic'. I am not too familiar with the towns shown in it, besides iowa city of course. we see ainsworth, and Washington, in eastern iowa. this film travels a lot, going to the library of congress in the nation's capital. then on to france and Italy as well. I liked seeing potlucks and parades being depicted, it is familiar from growing up in that state. when I decided to see it I first thought of Vivian maier, the street photographer, in terms of a big collection being unearthed.
   I do not see movies here as often as another 'arthouse' theater, the lagoon. but I am always so moved when I go to st. Anthony. it is because of the view I get when leaving the theater, directly outside the doors. it is so calm there, on the river looking directly across to see a big bridge and the city's skyline. I tried to get a photo of the view, but hard to do at night, too dark. there are some pluses to the neighborhood that the lagoon is in, uptown, as it is a busy one. no problem finding food there- if you don't want to eat at the theater. but I still like the calmness at st. Anthony, it can keep me grounded in this sometimes crazy world we live in.
   I did laundry in the morning, after watching more from a Charlie brown movie. then at midday I went to a bowling outing. I bowled two games, cracked the century mark in the first but not the second. I liked having some pizza there. then it was on to filming some reviews. but I get there and find out it was not to be, postponed. so I went to the gas station as I was low on fuel, then drove home. when I got there I knew how tired I was during the drive, kept yawning. so I slept for a while and then had dinner and did the dishes before going to the movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment