Sunday, October 29, 2017

pastime paradise, stevie wonder

sometimes facebook can yield some inspiration. in this case it was one of my postings from two days ago, asking of another comic did a joke about the song 'gangsta's paradise' by coolio. found out he did a joke about a different rap song. it led to mason city, who is known for his music education, telling me about the earlier version of the song. it was 'pastime paradise' by stevie wonder. it was done in 1976, and coolio's version was nearly 20 years later. hearing both versions is helpful, he said to prepare for having my mind blown. I said I respond best to reading the lyrics, as I can do so at my own pace. I needed to listen to it more than once to get a good feel of it. no doubt I liked finding a live version on youtube, different from what he shared in the facebook posting. the live version had stevie performing it with a pack of violin players, and I do like me some violin. the rhyme scheme was 'tion/shun' and just single words on each line, made it more memorable. it does explain the coolio version better, as to why he starts off with a line from psalm 23. as stevie makes a reference to a savior in his version. rappers usually don't make religious references in their songs.
   this was a busy day for events, three in all, but I didn't mind. the logistics worked on getting to all of them. first was filming some reviews at the garage venue. I did two, first was about a Charlie brown story- book version as well as DVD. second was a Sia CD, 'this is acting'. it was postponed from last week. then it was on to an open-mic where I liked getting some stage time in. the venue was one I had been to before, in uptown Minneapolis. I had performed there before, at a comedy marathon in april. last event was a show in the east metro. three members of my 'comedy ring of honor' were in the lineup, including the show runner. and the first one I added to the ring, hadn't seen him in a while as he had family issues that kept him in Chicago. saw an office colleague there as well, after the show. I arrived just before it began.

No comments:

Post a Comment