Saturday, October 14, 2017

copywriting class at the loft

this morning I went to the loft in Minneapolis and did a 3-hour class on copywriting. found out the instructor knows a local comic, 'wallpaper now'. and another class member asked me if I knew a certain journalist, I said I did as he interviewed me for the article that was published in December. it was helpful to take the class, hearing about various concepts and preferences to get ahead in this industry. also saw two comics on the lower level after the class was done, they got me stage time last month at a nearby venue. it was midday by then, so I knew I needed to get on the road to new ulm for Oktoberfest. I stopped at the bobby and steve's and got a little godfather's pizza first.
    I arrived in new ulm around 2:30pm, it was light rain for much of my drive there. I had to get tickets for food and drink in the middle of town, I got popcorn, root beer, and apple strudel. also got a concord singers CD at the chamber of commerce after finding out it had a slightly higher price at a nearby store. and I made it to the glockenspiel for the last performance of the day, at 5pm. then it was a quick side trip to sleepy eye to see the linus statue in front of the library, across the street from the hardee's. I had a chocolate shake there, the order-taker gave it to me for free. at first I thought he was joking, I even said I spend a lot of time around jokesters. there was also the visit to the fountain inside german park, I pitched a penny into it. and there was having a beer at turner hall, finally out to the hotel at the edge of town. was a holiday inn, now a best western. I had a landjaeger on a bun with sauerkraut, and some german chocolate cake along with some more schell's beer. I liked hearing the band in the middle of town when I arrived, so many songs I knew. such as 'hey jealousy' by the gin blossoms, 'mrs. robinson'- first done by simon and Garfunkel. others were 'basket case' by green day, and 'plowed' by sponge. the last one i knew as the one that has the line 'in a world of human wreckage'. I also danced a little when I got to the hotel, with the narren- the costumed ambassadors. it was 'the burger song' and 'the chicken dance'.
    I brought CDs for the drive to and from there, played four of them out of five. then I had the car radio on for the rest of the drive, as I was getting close to the cities by then. I had hoped to make it home without having to stop along the way, but it was evident that I was tired so I stopped at the holiday gas station in Jordan. it was really helpful to do so, got a can of Coca-Cola and two candy bars in the discount bin. I ate one of them, and will be saving the other for a later day. it was nice how I didn't take long with cleaning out my car. there was some food and drink containers, tourist items, the CDs and the notebook from the class. but it meant gong inside to get a bag so I could gather it all up, and there still was some light rain so I put my rain jacket back on.


No comments:

Post a Comment