Friday, December 21, 2018

cry freedom movie

I watched another DVD movie on loan from the library this morning, 'cry freedom'. I had heard about this movie for a while. I recalled interviewing a catholic nun in san diego in late 2006 and she said she had seen the movie, a big deal when she doesn't go to movies much. now I understand better some of the things that surrounded the movie's release, such as apparently some theaters showing it were bombed. it is the story of a journalist writing about those who have died in police custody during the apartheid era in south Africa. every so often I knew this nation was on the news, and I wondered if the movie would mention the Soweto uprising from 1976 and they did. I did not recognize any of the actors aside from those in lead roles- kevin kline and denzel Washington. it is long, over 2 and a half hours. the part about the need to leave the nation reminded me of another movie I had seen, 'not without my daughter'. no surprise how this movie needed to be filmed in another nation, the closing credits said it was filmed in Zimbabwe.
   I have some free redbox codes to use, so it might be a while before I get another movie from the library. no big deal there. not much activity on the job front, but no surprise this close to the holidays. I printed some things when I was returning the movie to the library. in the evening I went to do some karaoke. I did one song, 'the pretender' by foo fighters. a man approached me after I was done and he said he liked seeing people find the courage to sing. I spoke some about performing with him. he later sang a Michael Jackson song, 'the way you make me feel'. also notable was seeing some young ladies wearing Christmas lights like a necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment