Saturday, December 1, 2018

vanishing newspaper boxes

I said I wanted to do the 'vivan maier thing', which meant getting a picture of a newspaper box showing the article about the passing of president bush (41). but I noticed that many places no longer have them. my guess is not enough sales, especially when one can find the paper at gas stations. so I found the photo-op at a mcdonald's, albeit the second one I went to. the first one was sold out of the Minneapolis paper by then, as it was late in the evening and I was on my way to perform karaoke. no surprise how there have been plenty of news stories about the passing of the ex-president since last night. this would be the fourth in my lifetime, the first being Nixon while I was in college. so I know the flags will be half-staff for a while, a month if I am not mistaken. and there will be no mail delivery on the day of his funeral, and it sounds like this will be Wednesday. but I don't get that much mail now, so no big deal there. 
   there was the typical errand running, such as going to the post office to pick up e-bay orders, there was two. I placed three more orders this morning, before I ventured out. I stayed in and watched college football for much of the day. it was conference championship weekend, and a make-up game weekend as well. I checked the paper and it said iowa state played drake, to replace a canceled game at the start of the season. one article I found said it was the first meeting since 1985. one of the games I watched was the big ten game, ohio state beat northwestern. although I was often falling asleep on the couch so I missed quite a bit. I looked outside the window in the mid-afternoon and noticed it was snowing, so I got started again on more errands. first stop was the dollar store. then on to aldi, although it took longer than typical to get there due to the winter weather. but I figured I could still make it, didn't feel like turning around and going home when this is my typical grocery shopping day. and it's just a few miles, not all that far away. then I stopped at a third place to get TV dinners and egg nog, knowing I couldn't find them at aldi. and then I stayed in until I went out to perform. 
    I went to a different venue than typical tonight, for multiple reasons. I like proximity, and it is much closer than where I was going. during winter weather this is an important factor. and of course last week I was too annoyed while there. this is a place I had been to twice before, the first time was on Oktoberfest weekend. I did 'your love' by the outfield. it had been on my list for a while, and I was reminded of this when I heard it at another venue last night. there was a fairly long wait to sing, and it was crowded, so I sat at the bar. during that time I had two different patrons talk to me, but I got bored with them rather quickly. with one of them, I said he was being too loud, so I moved away from him. also notable about tonight was finding $10 on the floor. when I see it, I just quietly put it in my pocket. I am sure I can find some use for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment