Thursday, December 27, 2018

smile more

I did karaoke tonight, three songs. I spoke with a couple for a while at the bar and the lady said I should smile more. she also said I had really white teeth. I consider this to be another chapter of 'weird interactions with the general public'. I was about to leave when they arrived, had already done two songs but hadn't finished my beer yet. it started off with a joke that I responded to seriously. I ended up staying two more hours as I enjoyed talking to them fairly well. or maybe I should say to her, as she did most of the talking. at times I could tell her guy was getting bored as he kept putting his arm around her, trying to get her attention back. eventually it worked, as they were hugging and kissing by the time I did my third song. I found a comfort level of conversation with them, which can be hard to do when I am used to relying on having a 'R.B.F.' to get through life. she spoke of being diagnosed with cancer, also about visiting the Dominican republic. he spoke of being a truck driver. both had shoulder-length hair, hers was still blonde but his was gray. his hat was mostly black, but half of the bill was silver and looked like the pattern from a toolbox that is mounted to a pickup truck box. best way of describing it. and he was wearing a red santa shirt, which one could see at times despite wearing a jacket over it. oh, and he bought me a drink, the second beer that I drank tonight. at the end of the night she spoke of something that sounded vulgar, but must have been the name of a mixed drink. I said I've got to go, and I mostly drink beer anyway. this is more evidence of how karaoke bars look like a goldmine for comedy material as the people I meet there inspire many of the stories I end up telling. oh, another reminder of subjects I discussed with the lady. made sense when it is a karaoke bar and we talked about newer versions of songs, or 'covers'. the lady spoke of being from Wisconsin, and the man from Houston, texas. I got the ideas of what to sing just from the drive to the venue, parts of songs I heard on my car radio. it was 'no one is to blame' by howard jones, 'to be with you' by mr. big, and 'peaceful easy feeling' by the eagles. and to think, I figured it was going to be hard to top the story of who I first met tonight, a dude that wanted to brag about meeting someone that worked for prince. he admitted to being drunk, and he sang 'my way' by frank Sinatra. the same dude annoyed another patron at the bar, to the level of he having to tell the bartender about it. something about how he 'talked her ear off' she also came to sing, and did some adele songs.
    not much activity on the job front, aside from one voicemail on my phone. I responded to it, but it became 'phone tag'. it was an application that I had just filed a day earlier. I spent much of the day going through performing souvenirs and getting them into binders. first it meant seeing if I could 'shave' any sheet protectors, and I could-six in all. it meant some more doubling up in order to save the proper amount of space. so now I see some pages in a pile that will be shredded, as I decided to cut out from those pages what was most important to save. 

No comments:

Post a Comment