Sunday, October 20, 2019

americanism, isolationism

I went to a lecture at the Minnesota history center in st. paul this afternoon. it was about the history of isolationism in America. and the term 'American-ism' was used fairly often as well. I liked seeing the handout that was available near the entrance to the auditorium. as a history major, I knew this was the kind of event for me. the title of the event was actually 'America first?' as this term has been used a lot over the years. and it is still used today. in the end it will be memorable due to the presenter using political cartoons by theodor Geisel (dr. seuss). like most people, I was only familiar with his children's books. the drawings did look a lot like the characters in the books I had read. it was nice to be familiar with some of the concepts discussed, from the history studies I had done in school. this included mention of the Monroe doctrine. and more recently, touring the Lindbergh home in little falls and learning about how he was part of the America first organization before world war two. I did not stay for the q and a, as I knew I was running out of time on the parking I had paid for. I paid with a card and the limit was two hours. I had other things to do anyway, such as get to the grocery store.
   the event at the state's museum was one of three I did today. the first was to get to a stamp show in Roseville, near the town hall and the ice rink. I bought seven items there. three were first day covers, and the other four were postcards. I think I had bought from this vendor before, as he is from iowa. of course I liked how he had plenty of Iowa postcards, all four I bought were from there. one was of the log cabin at Maytag park in my hometown of newton, a 'real photo postcard'. I guessed well on what ones I already had. the others were of the state fair butter cow, an aerial view of downtown Des Moines including the baseball stadium, and the armory at the university of Iowa in Iowa city, the college I attended. the first day covers were of the American legion, the VFW, and historic preservation sites, all from the 1970s or earlier. one of the historic preservation sites was the Decatur home in Washington, DC, so now I have something to look up. I liked how I was able to find both honoring the 'veteran groups'. my next stop was to the American legion on the east side of st. paul, for a 'booya' soup event. I got soup for five dollars, but there was no cake or pie there. but I did take a slice of bread and a small bag of chips that were on the table next to where the soup was being served. then I went to the nearby Walgreen to get a candy bar before I went to the museum.
   after I got back from the grocery store, I was tired so I laid down for a while. when I woke up there was a college football game still on. nothing unusual there, except it was in Spanish. but after a commercial break, it was back to being in English. I have seen this happen before, not sure why it does. then after the late local news I went to sing karaoke. it was 'don't look back in anger' by oasis. I liked how some people in the crowd were singing along with it. I like seeing people engaged with my performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment