Sunday, October 6, 2019

star is born movie, barbra streisand

I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library this afternoon, 'star is born', the 1976 version starring Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand. it is decidedly different from the first two versions, as those were more about actors. this one is more like last year's version, as it is about a musician. I am not sure if I had seen it before, but I do recall seeing it on a list of available movies when video stores and VHS tapes were just getting started in the 1980s. I was pleased to find out that some scenes were filmed at sun devil stadium in Tempe, Arizona, as I had seen two football games there in 2005 during a phoenix visit. I saw Schlitz beer cans in this movie fairly often. this one seemed to show more of the downsides of being famous- being mobbed by fans and being expected to have answers. a few things seen in it reminded me of how long ago it was filmed- seeing rotary dial phones as well as 8-track tapes. I recognized Gary Busey in it. now that I have seen all four movies with this name, I don't think I have a favorite. all four stayed close to one theme- the lady's star rises as the dude's star falls. what still might be left to do is watch one called 'what price hollywood', which had a similar storyline and was released before the original (1937 version) 'star is born'. but it does not appear to be at the library, so it means ordering it from amazon.
   at midday I went to my first 'booya' of the season. Besides having some soup, I also saw the st. paul police band perform there. I recognized some of the songs they played, such as ones by the beach boys. also some theme songs for the military such as 'semper fi'. the five dollars not used for beer last night were available for this event. four for the booya and one for a can of 7-up. it was windy at times, and I helped corral some sheet music that had blown away. I said I had done my good deed for the day. somebody sitting near me said many of the band members are former school band directors, so not necessarily police officers. I hope to get to more of these events by the end of the month, but it is hard to say how many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment