Sunday, October 27, 2019

judy (garland) movie

this afternoon I went to see the movie 'judy' at the Edina theater, about actress/singer judy garland. I watched the closing credits as well, it said the movie was based on a play, 'end of the rainbow'. so it is helpful to understand the 'source material'. the performance by renee Zellweger was good, but it was still hard to watch judy as a 'hot mess'. the storyline is of her London concerts near the end of her life. I liked her dry wit, and I laughed more than cried. I wiped away a tear when she sang 'over the rainbow'. it was no surprise at all that this song was in the movie, because it is about the star of 'wizard of oz' and it was that movie's signature song. when I posted on twitter about it, many others said the movie is Oscar worthy. and I concur. I really liked her assistant, played by jessie buckley. she looked familiar, and I found out she had the lead in 'wild rose', another movie I saw this year, the one about the british country singer.
   I did plenty today besides just see the movie. I also watched the bears-chargers football game. it started at 12noon, it was why I did not see the first screening of the day. bears lost 17-16, but they had their chances, such as 2 missed field goals, but also just one touchdown. after the movie and driving home, of course, I watched the world series. astros beat the nationals 7-1, so the astros now lead the series 3-2. I saw something in the background that caught my eye, the name of a player I did not recognize. I looked it up online and found out it was the team's 'ring of honor'. it honors not just the current team, but also earlier ones. both teams known as the senators, as well as the grays, and the expos, the fore-runner of the nationals. I am seeing them cover the history of baseball in Washington, DC, during the telecast. it is a big that the series finally returned to the nation's capital, for the first time since 1933.

No comments:

Post a Comment