Friday, October 4, 2019

poms movie, diane keaton

I watched a Redbox rental movie this afternoon, 'Poms'. this was one of three movies where I ordered souvenirs in order to use up points in my loyalty account in June, after finding out the chain's only area theater had closed. in this case, I got socks. this seems to fit for a movie about geriatric cheerleaders. I recognized many of the actors in it, such as Diane Keaton, rhea Perlman, pam Grier, Celia Weston, and Bruce McGill. Diane played the lead, somebody who left behind new York city to retire in Georgia. I said one line uttered by rhea fit her persona, as I recall her well as Carla on the TV show 'cheers'. Celia I recalled as Jolene from the TV show 'Alice'. she was an authority figure, an unlikeable one. Bruce was the 'security guard', and I have recognized him from other movies, usually in small roles. pam I saw in 'Jackie brown', a crime film. an early scene where Diane parks her car in a spot surrounded by golf carts was funny to me. along with a golf cart trying to do a police-style chase. I did not recognize who played Diane's neighbor in it, but it is a reminder of the time-honored formula that I say works in sitcoms on TV. the neighbor, or in-law, who is nothing like them, and the contrast helps with many of the gags. this neighbor played a sub teacher in it. the closing credits said it was inspired by actual events, and I figured if this was the case that it would be billed as 'based on a true story' like is usually done when advertising movies.
   I picked up this movie when I was out getting some other things. first it was to Walgreen, where I briefly spoke with the employee in the photo department I know there. before this I spotted somebody I knew from the clubs walking to a bus stop and I found her just before the bus arrived. then it was to Eagan to shop around some more for a book case or book shelf. I am still being careful with what I get, so I still haven't bought one yet. I looked at three stores in the area. then it was back closer to where my car was, and I picked up some items at a cub foods. this included some 'bat brownies', of course a Halloween theme. I would have preferred getting the pumpkin-shaped brownies that I saw at big lots, but they didn't have them at the cub I went to apparently. but I liked what I read on the back of the box, it spoke of how helpful that bats can be to the ecosystem, such as eating mosquitoes.
   near the end of watching the movie, I got a text message from my mom. it said that an uncle had died. I am told there will be a memorial service soon. I was on my way to a football game, and responded after getting back from the game, noting it said a memorial and not a funeral. I decided to find a song on youtube because of it, 'ode to my family' by the cranberries, as it got me through the passing of my grandma a decade ago. at the game I went to tonight, white bear lake beat Roseville, 35-13, it was 28-0 at the half. I looked at the roster for both teams, and white bear lake had a decided advantage on size. they had 11 players listed as weighing 250 or more, Roseville had just 3. size tends to matter on the line. WBL was also aided by turnovers, pulling down 3 interceptions, one of them led to a TD just before the first half ended. both halves ended on kneel-downs.  after a short time at home, I was out again, to sing karaoke. I did 'high hopes' by panic at the disco.

No comments:

Post a Comment