Wednesday, October 9, 2019

jarhead movie

I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library this afternoon, 'jarhead'. it is a military movie about the first gulf war. I recognized some of the actors in it, such as jake gyllenhaal, Jamie foxx, and dennis haysbert. I was in high school during the time period being depicted. when they show the parades they are in it reminds me of how my hometown made the news for having a fourth of july parade for the first time in 25 years to honor those who fought in it. the Vietnam war being unpopular must have meant that there was much less interest in patriotic displays for a while. it was graphic at times, but as it has been said before, 'war is hell'. some of the shenanigans shown in it, such as a forced tattoo, led me to think it was just as well that I didn't attempt military service. my hat is off to those who do serve, but it is not for everyone. there were some sequels, but it is hard to say if I want to see those anytime soon.
  there was plenty of activity today. I went to the post office and there was one amazon order waiting, it was a music CD, 'beautiful trauma' by pink. around midday I went to the northwest airlines museum inside a hotel in Bloomington, near MSP airport. I spent a little over an hour there, wanting to take a good look around. as usual, I learned something. most notable was reading about the origin of the name of an airport, 'holman field', found out it was named for a northwest pilot, their first. it is an observation I have made before, how it helps to be first in some form in order to make the history books. I even banged the gong there. and there was a display about other airlines that have ceased to exist. there were some souvenirs, but I didn't buy any. I like postcards but there were none for sale. I was inspired to find this museum after seeing the play 'stewardess' at the history theater in st. paul, since there was a display that was on loan from this museum. I was wearing my 'up in the air' movie shirt, which seemed appropriate.
 after I was done watching the movie, I went to the gas station to fill up the loaner car and then turned it in as my car was ready. it was under warranty, which is really nice. and I went to perform in the evening. we had a longer lineup than typical. a few of the comics were from out of town. the one about last night's event went over well.

No comments:

Post a Comment