Thursday, October 3, 2019

when the game stands tall movie

in the early afternoon I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library, 'when the game stands tall'. it is about a high school football team with a long winning streak, 151 games. I had heard of a school called de la salle here in Minnesota, but it isn't that one. it takes place in California. I didn't recognize many actors in it, just laura dern, who played the head coach's wife. there was a cameo by a pro football player, who was playing himself, maurice jones drew. there was a disclaimer in the closing credits saying 'some scenes and characters were invented for dramatic effect' and I am used to seeing this by now when it is 'based on a true story'. many things depicted in it are familiar from high school sports, such as the coach's son, as well as an overbearing parent. in this case, the latter seemed to be the villain in the movie, if there was a true villain at all. he would get loud at his son, wanting him to break the record for most touchdowns. I do like a good football movie, as I was on my school's football team. I understand well the importance of a good coach, and the respect that one has for their coach. I looked up a bible verse mentioned in it, James 4:10, it was at the grave of a player who had died. this disc wasn't typical, plenty of previews on it, even an ad for an insurance company. these were billed as wholesome Christian movies, which does seem to explain why I heard very little, if any, 'bad words' being used. notable to me was scenes at a veterans hospital, as well as when the coach was grilling burgers. the movie mostly depicts just one season.
   not much movement on the job front, there was a request to schedule an interview and I responded to it but no response yet confirming a time. I printed some things at the library in the late afternoon, and after that looked at some book cases at target. but I am still shopping around, so nothing has been bought just yet. looks like I am performing some stand-up this weekend, usually it is just karaoke. I hashed out some of the details before midday on facebook. in the evening I did some karaoke, two songs. it was 'amber' by 311, and 'losing my religion' by REM. some of the crowd members were really on board with it, which is nice that people were paying attention. there was a different bouncer this time, an older man with a beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment