Thursday, March 19, 2020

per the guidance of

i went out for a walk in the evening, although it was shorter than previous nights as it was wet out there and a little windy. I passed by a caribou coffee shop, already closed for the night, and got a closer look at their notice. it said 'per the guidance of', which I guess is nicer than saying 'by order of' in terms of their seating area being closed until further notice. I also got a look at an oil change place, and noticed their seating area is closed as well. this was posted on the windows to their working bays. and below it was two small American flags. so now I am seeing a connection to the pictures I was taking around 9/11. I am also aware from these walks how some places were already closed, two in particular. one was a gas station, the other was a restaurant. the former I am not sure when it closed for sure, but a big tip-off when going past was seeing no prices listed for gas. along with the nozzles being ripped out of the pumps. for the latter it said it closed their doors in September if I am not mistaken. I had said this before how I sadly have to write off empty buildings as 'economic darwinism', where the strong survive. with facebook postings I liked how others are checking in and asking how people are doing. it sure beats some of the negative energy I had been seeing. one was from a writer friend in phoenix. the other was from a fellow comic, somebody I had opened for, a native of Canada. another notable one was a posting about a cemetery where famous people are buried, from a former co-worker. as a history major of course I liked seeing it. for a while I didn't know he had been a history instructor, I knew him as a sales rep.
   I am thankful I am still getting out to exercise, and not watching the news all of the time. I am still watching some favorite TV shows such as 'young sheldon' as well as shows I grew up with on the rerun channel. actually both 'sheldon' episodes tonight were reruns. one was the neighbor kid's birthday party, the other was about two chickens and the preacher getting married. I am aware of how I am around comics, being one myself, and some are still making jokes. but it was a little un-nerving when one said 'marshall faulk' and I know it was meant to be a 'stand-in' for 'martial law'. the former of course was the name of a football player. I have read about the latter in history books, and happening in other countries, as well as governments imposing curfews. this hasn't happened, yet. and I hope it doesn't happen. although the news had something about the national guard being on the streets of new York city. I did also get out to pick up a few items at a Walgreen, although not my typical one to visit. I saw something online about them having TP, except when I get there they were still out of stock. I still got some food, as well as shaving cream. one article said it was a good idea to stock up on some foods, one of them being soup. I am already doing that one. another was peanut butter, and I did get some JIF 'to-go'. although after buying it I noticed it had expired. so I decided to eat two of the three small cups today. it still tasted fine. I am still hearing about some job leads, although others are on hold even though they need people, according to one agency rep. something about not wanting to bring in people for training, fear of infecting others. so a virtual 'standstill' at one company. I did file applications with two others, have to keep it up until there is an offer. I confirmed a phone interview today for Friday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment