Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Trifecta

I wasn't expecting it to be such a busy day, but there was 3 appointments. First was the Roosevelt mentoring program at a college- St. Thomas. Then there was a dental appointment, finally I was  onstage at the comedy club. I did fine at all three.
    Naturally, due to the mentoring event it meant I had the day off from work. It's getting near the end of the year and I need to use up vacations days anywway, or lose them. I just need to use four a year for this program, and the next event will be in February, a Shakespeare play at the Guthrie. I had hoped that my student would be there, but was told by his teacher that he missed the bus. I was holding up a sign like chaffeurs do at the airport, saying who they are waiting for.
    I spoke with somebody from another office, who said they had been at mine before transferring. But it's hard to remember all of those I've worked with over the years. Like many people, they seemed to be impressed with how I do some comedy. This was the opening activity that our group did, having actual in-person conversations since the moderator said we don't do enough of this in the era of email and text messages. Then after lunch, which was pizza, our group did tours of the campus, switching with the other group. The tour guide was memorable, a blonde girl from Omaha who just had a hoodie on but no coat so she seemed to be ill-prepared for being outside.
    The second event was the dental appointment, and in this case no news is good news. Still no cavities, and the dental assistant likes to talk to me. She said she was afraid of messing up and becoming my next comedy bit, and likes to hear about my dates. I had to ask how long it would take, normally I wouldn't care but when I am scheduled to be onstage I like to make sure I show up as it reflects poorly on me if I don't. It was odd how she told me when she sees my name on the schedule, I am one of the few that she can count on showing up. But I said the same as I did about comedy, about how I take it seriously. The next appointment will be a longer pause than the others as she told me of having hip surgery early next year, and informed me of when  she would be back and I am fine with waiting until then. She seems kind of young to be having hip surgery.
   The third event, the comedy club, meant not having a beer due to the recent dental work. No big deal to me. The club owner saw me sitting in the back, and said to me 'you're on the list' and I nodded, as I was aware of it. I was getting my material ready. Trying some new jokes along with the tried and true works well. I like getting a few extra minutes at this club compared to the one from Monday, but I like getting stagetime no matter where and how many minutes it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment