Wednesday, November 9, 2011

An Orphan Letter

After the comedy show tonight, I saw a letter 'A' that I think was meant to be part of a nearby sign. A beer bottle was next to it. I felt kind of sad for the 'orphan letter' so I moved it closer to to actual sign, leaving it right under it. The sign was for the plaza where the club is located. One comedian friend had a posting about a Heavy D song, who just died recently. I said his hit song, 'Now That We Found Love', reminded me of how a classmate from high school looked like him. It was of course an unflattering observation.
   At work we played 'Jeopardy' related to collections policies, but it was irrelevant to my job when I'm not a collector. Had to cut short my lunch, at first being unaware of when the meeting began. I spilled my soup due to being in a rush as the container wasn't latched down properly. Thankfully it was New England Clam Chowder so I was able to spoon up most of it with a big spoon I found in a drawer. I finished eating it at the meeting.
   The big news was about Penn State football coach Joe Paterno being fired due to a sex abuse scandal involving a former assistant. It was on the 10pm news, before that hearing 'Paterno is out' on a sports talk radio show meant little to me, thinking they meant 'at end of season' which is what Mr. Paterno had said in a statement. I don't take sports talk radio seriously, especially when it is mostly rumor and opinion. This means it is not a legitimate media outlet. I decided not to make any comments on Facebook about it, since it was a hot-button issue. In addition, my life goes on, no matter what happens to some famous person. It's still for the historians to decide as to what will be written, as the story is still unfolding. What happened to those kids didn't have to happen, and abuse of any kind is wrong. It is definitely not the typical college sports scandal, which is recruiting violations and playing players under the table. But I do get bored with the media circus on certain stories, where the media likes to hold their 'court of public opinion'. It doesn't seem there is enough newsworthy stories, as too many are about what famous people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment