Monday, November 7, 2011

Baseball Movies

Found out I have plenty of baseball movies, about 10 in all. Six of them are on DVD, including 'Field of Dreams'. I still have some VHS tapes, but once I got a DVD player it didn't take long to decide to 'switch over' as much as possible. I also decided to look at the case full of VHS tapes that I recorded while in high school, it included another one. 'Pride of the Yankees', about Lou Gehrig and starring Gary Cooper, is there. I have plenty of Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials as well, though likely more VHS than DVD. It included one I recorded from TV, when Schulz retired.
  On the way to the comedy club tonight I made a stop at a convenience store for dinner. While there I  saw a coin taped up to a receipt machine. The clerk informed me it was a rare coin from an African nation apparently.
    A colleague spoke of wanting to enter an event which sounded like an extreme obstacle course. It sounds like the type of event I would want to observe, since it would be fun to write about. And I held my own at the comedy club, not just ABA/NBA history but also punning where appropriate. One comedian friend said I 'got out of the pun-itentiary'. I could recall reading in an encyclopedia yearbook about the final season of the ABA in 1976. Some franchises folded during the season, just 7 finished. The Virginia Squires lasted through the schedule and then died. Then 4 clubs were absorbed when the leagues merged- Denver, San Antonio, Indiana, and New Jersey. The friend was speaking about Denver Nuggets uniforms, the ones he liked and didn't like, and I knew the team's history a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment