Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tired But Not Grumpy

 It was a 2-show night for comedy, an earlier show still happened but it wasn't open-mic. I didn't mind it at all, as I still saw a good show and some of my friends. One comic, the headliner, even did a memorable joke about the drinking age and military service, calling it the 'Miller Genuine Draft'. The feature comic did one about having dinner at a convenience store and he stands out to me when I attended his Facebook wedding, the most fun I've had at a wedding since it wasn't the typical ceremony. I'm getting used to some, like this comic, saying they recognize my voice, knowing what jokes I laugh at. Didn't know I could be heard so well, or that it was so distinct.
     I was onstage at the later show, second one on after the MC. I had meant to go there before, but with a late start I didn't as I usually have work the next day. But when stage time is offered, and no work the next day due to the holiday, I wanted to make the effort to get there. It was well worth it as I liked trying out some new material, and it still went well despite getting stuck in the middle of the set due to voice problems. I know by now how a drink helps keep the voice fresh when it is real active, and I had spoken with somebody I hadn't seen in a while at length before the show. Liked one joke about the holiday, how somebody said they prefer being with their friends over family as they cook better and don't judge them. Sad but true to many. I had a feeling at the show I haven't had in a while, that one about 'how right I was' to do something, in this case get into comedy. Since my circle of friends is derived from it. Means the world to me when one of them wanted to hug me, I obliged. Same is true with getting 'Happy Thanksgiving' wishes as I was leaving. I think the last time I truly can recall this feeling was on a New Years Eve over a decade ago, capping my first full year in suburban Chicago after leaving Iowa, again in a bar.
     A notable thing while leaving work to catch the bus I saw 4 boys playing hackey sack, which was unusual. But I still liked seeing it. They happened to be near the door as I was leaving. I recall some of my classmates liking that game.

No comments:

Post a Comment