Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Emerson Hough Bucktail Fly

When doing a routine search online about Emerson Hough, I found mention of something related to fly fishing. Surprised I hadn't found mention of it earlier, but it does make a difference as to what key words are used in a search engine. I entered 'Emerson Hough Field', referring to where football was once played in my hometown, and found it. My guess is it was connected to 'Field And Stream', a fishing magazine. The fishing equipment is so named as it uses tail from a deer, a buck. I am still searching to see if there are other inventions credited to him. I printed a page describing it, as well as a picture of it. A man named Sturgis claims the hair-spinning technique came to Chicago in about 1912, brought by Hough. Another article I printed was from the site known as 'Open Library', listing 59 works for Hough. Most of these i had heard of, some just sounded like a different edition of the same book. There was one I hadn't heard of, called 'What the War Means to Us'. It listed 1 edition, published in 1917, so of course it was about World War I. Apparently it is different from 'The Web', which was printed later. I have 7 Hough books, 8 if you count 'Maw's Vacation', which is more like a novella.
   On the bus this morning I saw the annoying woman, when asked to move over a little for another rider she said 'oh jeez'. Then when another wanted a seat nearby they were told how she doesn't like anyone sitting near her. It was true.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment