Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Turkey Day First

This is a first for me, a Thanksgiving where I'm not traveling to Iowa to see family. I have looked back a little to some memorable ones when I was a kid, like when we went to Lineville, Iowa, to see an uncle of my dad's, Harry Shelburg and his wife Jo. He owned an auto parts store in this town named for being on the Iowa-Missouri border. I recall Dad saying 'Kaiser-Frazer' upon arrival at their farm property, thinking he meant a Corvair. I later found out it was a different type of car. I also recall seeing a little dog inside and said 'it needs a litterbox'. Unsure if we went more than once there, but one time definitely was when NBC-TV personality Ahmad Rashad proposed during a Thankgsiving football broadcast to the actress who played Mrs. Huxtable on 'The Cosby Show'.
    Another first was watching much of the Macy's Parade from New York, usually I am en route and don't get to see it. There were plenty of balloons of course, but patriotic things I hadn't seen before. But Memorial Day or July 4th parades don't get the same TV coverage, so in some respects it made sense to me. Liked seeing the Snoopy balloon of course, but didn't see Bart Simpson. After it we watched the dog show, I had seen this one fairly often before and liked being able to recognize many breeds since some are in various TV shows and movies. Before leaving for a dinner at her friend's place I asked that we switch over to the first game, Packers-Lions, Packers were winning big, just wanted to know the score. I liked meeting some of these members of the 'adopted family' she has, at least talking to them at length unlike before. They have 2 sons, the younger one is autistic. The parents majored in history, so I liked that, saw plenty of their books there like Gore Vidal's novel about Aaron Burr. He was in the Marines, and had a certificate from reaching to Equator. We made it back to her place to walk the dog and watch a new Charlie Brown special, we can watch the ones about Thanksgiving later as I just acquired a DVD copy.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment