Sunday, November 20, 2011

J. Edgar Hoover Biopic

I saw the biopic about FBI director J. Edgar Hoover earlier today in Eagan. I also played Scattergories in the early evening before watching the Simpsons, fell asleep briefly while watching that show but I knew how tired I was and I kept trying to stave it off. Before the movie we watched a 'Little House' Christmas episode on DVD, I liked seeing Victor French guest-star in it. He played Mr. Edwards, my dad's favorite character.
    The movie was kind of long, over 2 hours. But I do like biographical movies, even though I haven't seen many movies Leonardo DiCaprio is in this one was well-done. I knew some of this man's story, but not all that much since he died before I was born. I think he is more likely a butt of a joke than anything else now, since there is plenty of rumor about his private life although much of it is considered to be conjecture. I had entered a contest to get tickets to an advance screening, via text message, but didn't win.
  With biopics, I am now used to seeing the disclaimer in the closing credits about how 'some scenes and characters are invented for dramatic effect'. At first it was hard to accept, but I understand how they're trying to sell a movie and some parts of the story may not sell enough tickets. It was a good coverage of American history during his 48 years as director, including the gangster era as well as the Lindbergh baby case. When I had heard of this man before, my earliest recall was when my sister was asked to watch a TV-movie, maybe on public TV, for a high school class. It was called 'Hoover vs. the Kennedys', I thought it was about President Herbert Hoover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment