Monday, June 10, 2013

Ambivalent Enthusiasm

   When one performer took the stage tonight at the comedy club, he said there was 'Ambivalent enthusiasm'. It was in many ways equivalent to saying 'Lukewarm reception'. This was a comic I hadn't seen in a while, who said his stage name is a variation of his real name, just lopping off the last name as it is too long. Sometimes I do say I am ambivalent about things, as it can describe the situation well. But I don't like BEING ambivalent. I don't think I've met anyone yet who likes being ambivalent. Of course I do have enthusiasm for certain things in life, and going to comedy shows is one of them. Otherwise I wouldn't go as often as I do. But I also know that the opening reception by the crowd isn't as important as what follows it, especially if the comic is funny enough. So while openers can be important, it is not the be-all end-all. This applies to not just comedy, but to most anything else in life.
   There was no postal mail waiting for me after work, which is not typical for a Monday. Usually there is plenty, the highest volume for the week. As far as I know it wasn't a postal holiday.  It's just as well as when there is mail I usually end up shredding some of it, whatever is junk. Most of the time it is a non-profit that wants my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment