Thursday, June 20, 2013

Commercial Driver's License Manual

   Before I made it to Gabe's Bar to see the College World Series tonight, I went to the library first to print some things. It was an odd visit from the word go. It started off with seeing one unattended computer on You-tube. So I shut it off, and just a minute or so later somebody came around and was disappointed to see this. I didn't say word one about how it was me who shut it off! I was likely doing them a favor so nothing was done in their name that they wouldn't approve of. After I ordered my prints I did the routine thing and went to release them. Except the printer was out of paper. Another patron said it wouldn't print due to this, and something about how it didn't print what he wanted the way he wanted it. Well it wasn't going to print for anyone as long as it was out of paper! Seems wrong to just leave it. But as Dad tells me my grandpa would say, 'He doesn't have any more sense than what God gave a goose'. It took plenty of paper before it finally got to my order, as according to the pages I saw it was a commercial driver's license manual being printed. I even wondered to myself if they were printing a book. Well, close enough. It even meant scrounging around not just another printer but also the recycle bin and flipping over pages to the opposite side before it cleared the order in front of me. There are subsections to test your knowledge, loading and unloading, and how leaks spell trouble! It also advises no smoking, and there are precautions for specific hazards like explosives.
   It was nice to see the College World Series game. I got there while it was in progress, but didn't miss much as it was still in the first inning and no score. North Carolina was playing North Carolina State in an elimination game, with the winner playing UCLA. It was no score until the 4th, when UNC pushed across a run after a close call at the plate. They kept showing the replay but the runner just barely got his hand in on the plate before the catcher applied the tag. The UNC Tar-heels added another run in the 5th, then poured it on in the 8th and 9th to win 7-0. It surprised me how the Tar-heel starting pitcher was left in for a long time, and was finally pulled with one out in the 9th. He had already thrown about 130 pitches and they were way ahead. The game ended on an unconventional double play, the outfielder catching a fly ball and doubling off the runner at first.
   Another patron near the end of the game commented how I wasn't watching basketball, as Game 7 of the NBA finals was on as well. In fact, I moved to another table when they switched over to this game. I said nobody was watching the monitor which had golf on, I'll move to that one. He said I was 'taking it too seriously'. Ha! You could barely tell that I was there! He was trying too hard to be ironical. I wasn't going crazy while watching the game, most of my talking was to the server. It also seemed odd how he had to comment about how I wasn't watching basketball. I said I'm watching baseball, I happen to be wearing a baseball hat. And I was, the St. Paul Saints. Hard to say what this patron's motivation was. I know it's a competitive world out there, sadly I see the annoying 'I'm better than you' attitude all the time. Not enough people believe in 'To each their own' or 'Live and let live'.

No comments:

Post a Comment