Sunday, June 30, 2013

Touchback Movie

   I did a tour of the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis earlier today with my date. It was nice to see things behind the scenes. I saw a few rooms that I hadn't seen before, like a 'Red Room' where concerts are held. After the tour we went outside and saw what is known as the 'Mill Ruins Park'. It looked like the sign hadn't been up for long. The current Guthrie building has been there since 2006, so it's a possibility that the park sign has been up for a comparable amount of time.
  It was nice to go to the gift shop and get some souvenirs. I was unsure what I had when doing the 50th anniversary event last week and didn't want to duplicate anything. I got some postcards, one was of their production of 'Streetcar Named Desire'. I liked getting a magnet from 'Glass Menagerie'. This play I had seen at the Guthrie a few years back. It has a setting in my favorite city to visit- St. Louis- and my favorite era of history to study- the Great Depression of the 1930s. Yes I am familiar with how Tennessee Williams did both of these plays. He knows how to write passionate women well, and in another show I saw as a movie, 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof'.
   After leaving the theater we did go over to Bobby and Steve's near 35W and I ended up with another loyalty card. Since I like the little Godfather's pizzas there I expect to get some use out of this card. When looking them up online I found out there are plenty of other locations in the metro area, but this is the only one I have been to. It has a convenient location.
   In the early evening we did get a movie at Redbox, 'Touchback'. It is a football movie with Kurt Russell as a football coach. I had considered renting it a few months back, around the time of the Super Bowl. It had a good story all around, a fantasy that reminded me of 'It's a wonderful life' or 'Field of Dreams', even 'Hoosiers'. There were some places where it was unrealistic, like having the state championship at a non-neutral site and a big difference in the size of the schools, but I understood it was still a fantasy. I told myself it may have been easier to film it in certain areas if this was written into the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment