Saturday, June 22, 2013

Back To The 50's Car Show

  I attended the 'Back To The 50's' car show at the State Fairgrounds this afternoon with my date. First time attending this event. I saw plenty of classic cars around town even before heading over to the venue. Even this morning when I was doing laundry I saw an Opel, which is rare. But it looked too new to be part of the show.
   After our tickets were presented at the gate, we did get a guidebook. But I didn't look at it all that much aside from trying to find the place serving Izzy's Ice Cream. We finally found it, but it was early evening by then and they had already closed up shop for the day. We still had a decent amount of food. Since they had pork chops on a stick, much like at the State Fair, I ordered one. I told myself I could have pizza anytime. We did see four of the Charlie Brown and Snoopy statues on display, which I liked a lot. In many ways it was like attending the Fair, in terms of the size of the crowd. It was nice to see plenty of activity there, as I don't know how many events there get big crowds besides the Fair.
  I got plenty of pictures of the cars there, about 30. The first one was a Studebaker with flames painted on it. Another was a little Metropolitan, we were told this was an American Motors car. One car said it was a 'Hillbilly Sportscar' and it was a rusted-out open-top car with a Maytag logo on the front. I liked seeing plenty of V8 Fords from the 1930s, the Gangster Era. Another was close to the 'Rain Man' car, I think it was just one model year earlier, and the movie car was a 1949 Buick. One car was a Fire Department vehicle, and there was plenty of Willys Jeeps there. One car had a 'Don't Tread on Me' flag on top of it, but it was windy and hard to get a good picture of it. I was patient and had to make multiple attempts before I got one that I liked. Another had 'Coalville Kid' painted on the door, it was from Iowa but not Coralville. This town is near Fort Dodge, not Iowa City. Near the end was a 1913 Ford, the sign next to it said it was 'cranky' and just turned 100. Of course 'cranky' meant having to crank the engine to start it. Even saw a limousine there. I did play some games in the game room, actually just skee-ball. I got enough tickets to get a 'Grunge Bob' sticker, which looked like a 'Sponge Bob' style rapper.
   I did place an online order with the Postal Service for some stamps and first day covers, six items in all. I couldn't find this year's Civil War stamps at two different post offices so I made it part of the order. All of the other items ordered were first day covers. The covers included Johnny Cash, choreographers, movie directors, Miles Davis and Edith Piaf, and the muscle cars. It was my first online order in over 3 years so I had to change my address before completing the order.

No comments:

Post a Comment