Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Johnny Cash Stamps

   At midday I went to the post office near my workplace and got a sheet of 16 Johnny Cash stamps. The quick bio does say he was known to many simply as 'The man in black'. This name is also on the shirt I have, which is a silhouette of Cash. It goes on to say how he may be best remembered as a country music artist, but he influenced other genres. I know this is true, as 'Ring of Fire' is a song covered by Social Distortion. Naturally they had to shorten his bio, but I liked mention of two hit songs: 'I Walk The Line' and 'Folsom Prison Blues'. It's a nice reminder of seeing the biopic 'Walk The Line', as both songs are in the movie. I had it confirmed for me how I would need to go online to get a first day cover if I want it. No big deal there, as this sheet does say in the corner how one can go to their web address 'for more stamps and collectibles'.
   I did do some more with the binder for stamps and first day covers, after I was at the comedy club tonight. I reminded myself how I had a Superman mini-puzzle in a bag with photos so I said it belongs in the binder since it's a postal product. Next to it was a magnetic greeting card from the 'Looney Tunes' stamp collection from 1997 where most of the image is of the Tasmanian Devil. In the corner is the 32-cent Bugs Bunny stamp. On the back was a label with the price, it was for $1.49 and was stamped Des Plaines, Illinois from August 2002. As I recall I got both of these items real cheap as they were part of the post office's clearance sale. The Superman puzzle postcard was from the following year, 1998, as part of the 'Celebrate The Century' series. This is the same series as the St. Louis World's Fair first day cover. Besides this I got the Lincoln stamp sheet from 2009 in the binder, along with 'The Simpsons' stamp sheet from the same year. Then it was on to the sheets of the Civil War battles from 1861 and 1862. I have just two stamps each left from these two sheets, but this was my intention. I wanted to save this many as I didn't do that with those from 2009 and hated having to order more online. In my E-bay searches I found out there is plenty of first day covers out there, which doesn't surprise me much. I found some of Iowa, and Minnesota. I think some of these were not just an anniversary of statehood but also a flag series from 1976. In addition, I found some that said 'Spirit of 76' with a drummer boy on it. Also found some of Yellowstone Park and of Charles Lindbergh, along with the Spirit of St. Louis. I told myself I should wait to order again until more of those already ordered arrive.
  At the comedy club tonight, one crowd member was popular with the comics as it was revealed he was having a birthday party, he had just turned 19. It was mentioned how his parents were there, but at a different table as he was sitting with his friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment