Friday, June 14, 2013

Pocket Schedules,Business Cards

   I ate at Chris and Rob's in St. Paul tonight after an oil change for my car. It was the first time eating at this place since the botched pizza order in March. I went back to having the chili cheese dog and tater tots. I still like the ambience there as it's a Chicago theme.
   Eventually I got around to the baseball cards, since I just got more sheets for the binder. I got both sets for the St. Paul Saints in, and the Minnesota Gopher hockey set as well. But I was unable to get the minor-league Chicago Wolves (hockey) set in, as the cards were too big for the slots. But it's all that is left aside from a few specialty cards in hard plastic covers. This includes two of my own cards, as I found the one from the All-Star Game Fan-fest in Chicago in 2003! I was wrong about needing to check every box and bag. In this case it meant checking envelopes as well. An Allstate Arena ticket envelope had it. I had hoped it was somewhere and I was right. In many ways it truly meant this card was put away for safekeeping, a little too well. It compares well to the one from the 2009 Fan-fest in St. Louis. I am wearing different hats, and holding different bats as well. I've noticed how the sponsors are also different, as it was John Hancock Insurance for 2003 and Upper Deck Cards for 2009. They were generous with the stats on the back, with 55 home runs for 2002 and 52 home runs for 2008, as it went by 'Recent major league performance'. Now I must figure out where to keep them for the long term. But it won't necessarily be in the binder with the others.
    I filled up another binder, with plenty of pocket schedules and business cards. As usual, it did lead to destroying some of them as I realized I valued them less compared to others. Notables in this binder are the Blockbuster Video membership card, which I haven't used in about two years. There are also some loyalty cards, like the obsolete one from Super-America. Notable still is my nametag from one of my jobs in college, saying 'Physical Plant, University of Iowa'. I trimmed a little of the plastic off so it would fit the slot. I thought about putting my student ID in as well but noticed my social security number is on it so I am finding another place for it that is much less public. Each card says something about my life, like places I've traveled to in the case of transit cards. It says there still is 15 cents on the transit card from Washington, DC, which I last visited in 2009. There are plenty from suburban Chicago, which was expected as I lived there for nearly 6 years. Some are business cards from my employer, mostly management I think. There's a card for a taxi company in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where I attended a Van Halen concert in 2004. Pocket schedules from Iowa Hawkeye sports as well as baseball teams (major and minor) are also common. Besides my pool pass from Des Plaines, I also found my library card and my Illinois driver license. There are 2 Monopoly game boards from McDonald's. I had two Subway 'Sub club' cards, but pulled a stamp off of one and destroyed the vacant one so now I have one card with three stamps. There's a 'Mood card', and various comedian cards. There's the reminder of the transition to the Twin Cities, as I see a card from the Econo-Lodge in Madison, Wisconsin. I stayed there on the way to moving from suburban Chicago. There's even a pocket schedule for the Minnesota Wild for the season that wasn't in the NHL, 2004-2005.   

No comments:

Post a Comment