Friday, August 9, 2013

Nickel And Dimed Play

    This evening I went to see a play version of the book 'Nickel and Dimed'. It was in the Lincoln Park section of Chicago, at Greenhouse Theater and presented by Tangleknot Theater. Since I knew it was near the Biograph Theater, where Dillinger was shot, I ran down there before the show began. It didn't take long to get there and back. I was there long enough to get some pictures, including the plate saying it's on the National Register of Historic Places.
   I don't think I've read the book yet, written by Barbara Ehrenreich. I have bought some of her other books though, like 'Bright Sided' and 'Bait and Switch'. As I now live in the Twin Cities I liked how it did cover this area, when she was working at a store called 'Mall-mart', of course in reference to Walmart. It was unexpected when the play stopped briefly to interact with the crowd. But it still seemed to work for me. Since for some it is not entertainment, but their life. While walking back to the van that took us there, I was one of five who went, I did my best to soak in the neighborhood. I heard a Rihanna song coming out of one place, it was 'S and M'. And when I got back my key card didn't work for the room. A maintenance man got me in with the passkey, not sure what the problem was.
   I had no meeting to attend in the morning so I went to do some urban exploring. I did find the post office, and printed 3 postage stamps. But I used just one to mail a postcard to myself, three was the minimum. Many of the buildings I passed by were designated a Chicago landmark. I tried to get pictures of as many as possible. I did make it over to the Merchandise Mart, and got pictures of all 8 of the 'Pez heads' in their Hall of Fame. This included the likes of Aaron Montgomery Ward and Frank Woolworth. I did go inside and got a free sample of tea at one place. At the food court I got a bag of BBQ chips and a drink at the Billy-goat Tavern, made famous by the 'Cheeseburger' skit on 'Saturday Night Live'. I had an Oreo McFlurry at McDonalds.
   Our legislative session did get started, in the afternoon. Some items on the agenda are being moved back due to the shortage of time. Not too many things to vote on just yet. Also notable was getting an email claiming to be from our ex-treasurer. It said she had been mugged in the Philippines and needed money. I ignored it, can't be too careful with email.

No comments:

Post a Comment