Sunday, August 4, 2013

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You

    I rented a Redbox movie this afternoon, 'Someday this pain will be useful to you'. I had seen a preview for it but didn't get around to seeing it in theaters. But this tends to happen with arthouse movies as they usually are in limited release. It had a good cast. I liked seeing Marcia Gay Harden in it as well as Lucy Liu and Ellen Burstyn. It took a while but eventually I did hear the movie title as an actor's line, as expected it was said to the main character. Lucy Liu played a life coach or therapist that counseled the main character, a teenager who said he didn't want to attend college. She helped with bringing out the story of what happened on a trip to D.C., something he had been unwilling to discuss with anyone before then. It was one reson why he said he didn't want to attend college. I liked hearing one song in particular in it, 'Love is requited' by Elisa, in the closing credits. 'Maybe sorrow is my gain, and I'm learning from the pain, but I'm ready to move on.' The special features even had a video of this song in it.
   I made it back to my employer's fitness center for the first time in a while. It wasn't for long, just a few minutes, as it was near closing time. I also heard from my college roommate out east. He said he would be in the Midwest in a few weeks, apparently to do his fantasy football draft. I had to ask where he works again, found out it wasn't at a super collider but at a 'cyclotron'. It is still something that I am sure few are qualified to do, but I know he is a sharp guy.
   This evening I went to a Minnesota Fringe Festival show, and many of my comedian friends were in it. When I was looking for show cards to collect after the show, I saw two of them as they were leaving. I spoke with both briefly before we went out separate ways to find our cars. It is likely the only show I am attending in the festival, as I will be busy for much of the upcoming week. I told myself how I wanted to see a show this year, and I narrowed the list to comedy in case any of the people I know would be in shows. Since he show has a vulgar title I likely wouldn't have attended it if just looking at titles. There are over a hundred shows going on so one has plenty to choose from. I saw some crowdmembers near me who said they were 'collecting' the shows the main character's wife is in, as this one was one of five.  

No comments:

Post a Comment