Thursday, August 8, 2013

University Center, Chicago

    I had plenty to do before catching my flight to Chicago for the writer's convention. I did dishes, took out trash and recycle, and got a haircut. Can't forget my visit to the library to print more items so I would be up to speed before arrival. I liked how I found a way to get it all done, but it wasn't easy in addition to packing. Really the only missing item was a stamp so I could mail myself a postcard, but I went online after arrival and found out there is a post office near me downtown. 
     The flight was nice, I got plenty of reading done. I spoke with my seatmate as well, an elderly woman who said she was flying to London, England to visit family who are stationed in the military nearby. After arrival at O'Hare, I got on a train and was a little worried at first when hearing some shouting. It was a younger man who said he had just been released from Rush- I guess he meant the hospital- and had a leg infection but wasn't homeless. He got off shortly after this, and the shouting ended fairly quickly. 
    On the way to the convention site I saw a store giving out free samples of popcorn so I had some. I checked into my room and my roommate arrived shortly after I did. He is from San Francisco much like at the last convention two years go but it is somebody different. I must be memorable as he said 'you're the comedian' upon arrival.  
    There hasn't been much activity yet. I had dinner in the evening and went to the book division meeting after it and it ran long. It is the first time I had heard of the place where I am staying, the University Center in downtown Chicago. Apparently there is sharing of resources by various nearby colleges like Robert Morris and Roosevelt. While typing I see some college-age people having fun at the pool tables. First time I had seen a computer with a rubber keyboard, it is something I am trying to get used to.         

No comments:

Post a Comment