Sunday, August 11, 2013

Writer's Convention, Final Day

    This was the final day of the writer's convention in Chicago. There was plenty to cover in the plenary session, and we finished just before our target end time at 2pm. Our president reminded us how the dining hall was closing at 1pm so we had to recess so we could have lunch, that we ad already paid for.
   After I checked out of the room I started walking over to the lakefront, and found Buckingham Fountain. I said I had plenty of time before my flight left Midway Airport, so I found my way over to Navy Pier so I could get a smashed penny souvenir. Then I noticed there was a Harry Caray's bar nearby, so I watched the rest of the Cubs-Cardinals game there, Cardinals won 8-4. The Twins-White Sox game was on as well, Twins won 5-2.
   After the game was over I knew I had to start making tracks back to the Loop to get a train to Midway. I did but there was a problem with my card. I knew full well there was enough for one fare but the machine wouldn't read it. So I had to pay again, which of course was annoying. I still made it to Midway more than an hour before my flight left. In addition, it was moved to another gate and arrived a little late. I made it back to the Twin Cities after 9pm. There were some more departures listed on the monitor but not a lot, about forty for the entire main terminal. Most of the food establishments had already closed for the night. But I had eaten at Midway anyway, a fish sandwich from McDonald's.
  When I got back I saw how there was very little mail of note. I did get an alumni magazine from the University of Iowa, but most of the rest of it was basically junk.     

No comments:

Post a Comment