Monday, December 23, 2013

Amazing Grace, Bittersweet Symphony

     I went to the Artists Quarter tonight for their final open-mic, as we know it, and I did do some stage time. Much like some other entertainment venues in the area, it is closing due to an ownership issue. This happened with First Avenue and The Myth as well. Both stayed closed for a while until the ownership issue was settled. It seemed appropriate, in terms of some of the songs played tonight by the techie in the back, such as 'Bittersweet Symphony' by the Verve. But also the songs done by the performers themselves, this included 'Amazing Grace'. When I hear it I think of seeing the movie 'Last Days of Disco', as it was in the movie. I saw it shortly after moving to suburban Chicago in 1998. I wrote down some lyrics for another one that was catchy, I heard it as 'If I would become a stranger'. I think it is a song called 'Caledonia', I found multiple versions on Youtube. I liked being able to get a souvenir, the ticket I was given to choose my spot in the lineup. I took a picture of it next to my drink as well.
    Two E-bay orders arrived, one was Chicago World's Fair postcards- two more, up to 33 for this fair. The other was Expo 67 in Montreal- 12 more, up to 18 for this fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment