Saturday, December 7, 2013

Nebraska Movie, Bruce Dern

    This afternoon I went to see the movie 'Nebraska' starring Bruce Dern. I had seen a preview for it on TV and it intrigued me. It is in limited release so it meant seeing it at the Uptown Theater in Minneapolis. I liked it as it was a road movie. In addition I think of myself as a regionalist and liked how it had a Midwestern setting. I cheered when they stopped at Mount Rushmore on the way. I knew they likely would after the road sign for it was mentioned. It was called a dramatic comedy, which was definitely accurate. Much of the movie was a family reunion of sorts. The men didn't say much to each other, they spoke a lot about cars, or watched football together. It worked just fine being filmed in black and white, I know a few movies still are filmed this way. I would like to think it will get some Oscar nominations, a movie like this tends to. A karaoke scene reminded me of a favorite movie, 'Up In The Air'. This is a movie I would want to own on video, as I liked it that much. When I left the theater I picked up a poster. It isn't hung on the wall yet like some others are but it likely will be soon.
   Before and after seeing the movie my day was about chores and errand running. I did dishes, then it was on to the library to print some coupons. This included ones for a Dairy Queen Blizzard, it was a 2 for 1 deal. Others were a discounted egg nog at the grocery store, and a discount at Barnes and Noble. Then I drove over to the Uptown neighborhood and ate at Arby's. I don't think I've been to this location much before, as I often would like to eat at Popeye's chicken nearby. But now that Popeye's has expanded in this area I don't have to go all the way over there for it. After the movie I drove home and got groceries. Then it was on to the Blockbuster Video liquidation sale. I got two more videos, along with two more bags of microwave popcorn and a 6-pack of 100 Grand candy bars. The first video was four 'Simpsons' Christmas episodes. I brought my list with me and checked- I did have five Simpsons videos already but not of Christmas episodes. The other was 'The Jackal', starring Bruce Willis and Richard Gere. I had it on VHS- again, bringing the list helped- so I liked being able to junk another VHS tape. Much like before, I looked at all that was available, so I still have more ideas for what I will get during my next visit.
   I watched both of these videos tonight after getting back from Blockbuster- and from eating dinner at the Kentucky Fried Chicken across the street. With the subzero weather I didn't want to go to too much trouble with finding a place to eat. I had seen all of the four Simpsons episodes but it had been a while. I do recall seeing 'The Jackal' at the theater, back in 1997. It was during my year and a half of living in West Des Moines. When I went to junk the VHS copy of this movie I noticed the Hollywood Video sticker on it, a reminder of how I hadn't seen their stores in a while. So I looked up their Wikipedia article and it said they liquidated back in 2010. There was a website I found saying 'The new Hollywood Video' but it appears they may just be an online-only company now. I did take the Blockbuster stickers off of both of these videos already, these were previously viewed videos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment