Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Subway District Manager

      I had a half day at work due to the office closing early for the holiday. I ate lunch near the office, at a Subway. In the booth next to me was an older woman who was eating ice cream. A man came in and said to her he was a district manager and said she needed to order Subway food. With situations like this, I figure it is best to just observe and not get involved. She ended up ordering a salad and a drink. When she got back to the booth she dropped things down hard. I know I've seen people ejected from comedy clubs for heckling and being drunk, but I don't know how often I've seen somebody ejected for loitering. In both cases I am sure they don't enjoy it but will do so if need be. I was nearly finished with my food and drink by then. 
   I found a comedy show to attend tonight, same venue where I was at for New Year's Eve as last year. There was champagne for the countdown to midnight. One fellow comic did a camera phone picture of the two of us, looking forward to seeing it on Facebook. He does the 'Tony the Tiger on downers' joke about how cold it is in winter. Another comic looked like the lead character from the movie 'Anchorman 2' though he said he wasn't going for this look. But he did have the suit and mustache. The one good thing about showing up early was having more time to talk to the comics. With the anchorman look-alike, he said he attended 15 different schools. What I mainly recalled before was how he sometimes liked to wear a Black Flag hat, a music group. Another thing to do was check the TV monitors on the upper level, the Chick-Fil-A (f/k/a Peach) bowl was on, Duke vs. Texas A and M. According to my car radio Texas A and M came from behind to win it.
    I did say what I meant, how there was no other place I'd rather be than with my comedian friends. It did make me think of what I have done previously on New Year's Eve. At work the one I mentioned was attending a Barenaked Ladies concert when I lived in suburban Chicago. It purposely started late so the band would be onstage at midnight. Others would be my final one in Illinois a few years later. Much like four years after it, I had no idea what the year had in store for me. With one it was moving to the Twin Cities, with the other it was starting comedy. I am hopeful that it will be more of the same. I said I may have ended a relationship in August, but I think I will get to move onto bigger and better things soon. The responses I am getting on E-harmony sure suggest this. There may not have been any kisses for me at midnight, but I liked getting handshakes and hugs from a few people. This still works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment