Saturday, December 14, 2013

Cracked Campbell's Soup On The Go

     This was a day of shopping and errand running for me. In the middle of it I get home and notice in the food cupboard how there was a leak from the soup. It was a crack in the Campbell's 'Soup on the go'- chicken noodle. So I opened up the other end and dumped it in the sink. I am less likely to try it now that this has happened as I hate to waste food. There usually isn't any problem with cans, and of course 'Soup on the go' is plastic.
    I had an ambitious list of things to do on an index card, nine in all. It felt good that I got to all but one- going to the fitness center. But I have Sunday for this of course. First was to the bank to have change counted and deposited in my savings account. Also stopped at the ATM while there. On to the library where I checked email and typed out letters that will be going into Christmas cards. It was mid-afternoon by then and I was hungry as I didn't have lunch yet, so I went to get a Little Caesar's pizza. It was time as I have been getting a large pepperoni once a month, which is three meals for me. Then it was back home, where I discovered the soup problem.
   I stopped at two different antique shops, looking for Winter Carnival buttons. At the first I was told the man in charge of that section of the store hadn't been in for a while, he had a stroke. So I found another shop closer to the Xcel Center, I had been there in the summer as well. I got two buttons there- one was from St. Paul's 1968 Winter Carnival- now the oldest one in my collection. The other button was from the Minneapolis Aquatennial in 1974, an event I finally attended this summer. The third item was a World's Fair postcard- the Chrysler building from the Chicago 1933 fair. So now there are 17 cards that I own from this fair. I made another stop at the ATM before my next destinations, first it was Barnes and Noble. I had a 25 percent off coupon and used it for a Charlie Brown Christmas snow globe. Much like other mini-kits there was a little book inside. On to Dairy Queen, where I used a 2 for 1 coupon for Blizzard treats. As usual I ate one there and took the other one home for another day. This left two more things to do.
    I made it home shortly after the 6pm news started, and I didn't feel like changing the channel or shutting off the TV so I ended up watching 2 more hours before I went out again. First was a Time-Life infomercial about Johnny Carson hosting The Tonight Show. I liked how there was a brief clip of Bob Newhart speaking about it. Next was prime time, and there was two Christmas specials that I watched. First was Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, for one hour. Then it was Frosty the snowman for a half hour, the original one. A later version was on after it but I don't enjoy it as much, so I finally went out and had dinner at Taco Bell- the Loco Taco box. After this it was a drive over to the Blockbuster Video liquidation sale. I got two videos- the one I watched part of tonight was South Park Christmas episodes. There are seven in all, I watched two- one of them was 'Christmas in Canada', which I recognized as a takeoff of 'Wizard of Oz'. The second was 'A crappy Christmas' and did have mention of the Charlie Brown Christmas special in it. It replaces the VHS tape I got in San Francisco when on vacation there in 2004, 'Best of South Park'. It was from Amoeba Music, a used music and movies shop.
   The other video was 'Glory', a Civil War movie I had seen at the theater with my dad. I also got two more bags of microwave popcorn, along with a Butterfinger candy bar. Looks like some items are already sold out, like the 6-packs of little candy bars I had been steadily buying so far. I arrived there later than I wanted to, as a clerk did notify me how it was just 15 minutes until closing and I hadn't looked at everything just yet.
   After watching the 10pm news- in progress when I got back- I went to the grocery store, my final errand. 'Life to the Max' with Mike Max had a feature about former NFL QB Cory Sauter, now a small-college football coach. I also got in the mood for some music on Youtube and eventually found some Eminem songs I liked. I'm not sure if I had heard them before. One was 'Cleaning out my closet', the other 'Whatever you say I am'. I like how his songs are so honest and personal, working through things with his music.   

No comments:

Post a Comment