Saturday, December 21, 2013

Come To Me, Goo Goo Dolls

    While doing shopping and errand running today I heard a catchy song on my car radio. As usual, what helped was some key lyrics so I could find it online. It was 'Come to me' by the Goo Goo Dolls. The hooks for me was 'You're my girl, I'm your groom' and 'My sweetest friend'. After finding it on Youtube some other lyrics resonated with me. 'History is like gravity' and 'We've all got sins'. With the former it has to be since I majored in history. With the latter it has to be since at times I've had a hard time forgiving myself for mistakes made. I also liked mention of a fortune teller in it. I had seen a fortune teller at the Renaissance Festival before. This was somebody who advocated that I write more, and this was before I started blogging.
   I accomplished plenty today, much like last week. I got to five of the six items on my list. I made it to the library and typed up a response letter to a Christmas card from a family I knew in suburban Chicago that now lives near Milwaukee. After this I thought about going to use a JC Penney gift card but there was too much traffic at Rosedale Mall in Roseville so I went on to the next place, antiques. I got two postcards and a Winter Carnival button, the button was from 1964 so now it is the oldest one I have. One of the postcards was of the Chicago World's Fair, Admiral Byrd's polar ship. I looked through another area of the shop to find another postcard, when sifting through I wasn't sure if I expected to find a good one but I did. It says 'Don't take life seriously, it'll laugh at you anyway'. I got it for less than a dollar! I said it really works for me since I do comedy, but even if I didn't I think it would resonate. After this was Walgreen, where I needed toilet paper but got a few other items as well. This included a Snoopy felt door hanger with a Christmas theme. Then it was time to get home and unload things, and I went to get groceries before watching the news and having dinner at Subway. A woman said she had groceries parked outside while ordering sandwiches. This seemed odd, but sure enough a cart full of groceries was near the door when I left. I wouldn't be this trusting.
    My final stop was Blockbuster Video for the liquidation sale. I got two more DVDs, the baseball movie 'Sugar' and the other was 'Lost in translation' starring Bill Murray. I got two more bags of microwave popcorn and two Girl Scout candy bars. There isn't much left on some of the snack foods. The clerk had a nametag saying he was the manager and said the end was near, about two weeks. When I got home I did watch part of one video I had bought at Blockbuster earlier- two episodes of 'Newhart'. I chose the first episode, from the fall of 1982, and the one from late January 1983, close to when my family moved to Newton. It was a reminder of cast changes as the Minuteman Café owner was Kirk in this first season. He seemed to be a weak character due to being a compulsive liar. Larry and the Darryls as I recall later operated the café, next to the Stratford Inn.
   An E-bay order arrived, four of the World's Fair postcards, including two from oil companies- Havoline and Gulf. So I added five today to the photo album, bringing my total to 31 for this fair. After the late news was 'Life to the Max', and one of the features was about the Metrodome since it will be closing soon but I thought the segment was lackluster.

No comments:

Post a Comment