Saturday, January 11, 2014

Blockbuster Video, Final Visit

     Since the Blockbuster Video liquidation sale began in November, I had been making a weekly visit to the West St. Paul location. I was there again today, and it is likely the final visit- since Sunday is the final day of it. I had to look around for a while before I found two videos though, as there's not much left. I chose 'No Impact Man', a documentary, and 'General Education', a comedy. Janeane Garofalo is in 'General Education'. At first I was going to get just two bags of microwave popcorn, but when the manager said they were a quarter apiece I decided to get four. A sign on the front door said 'Cash only' so I went to an ATM before I went in. All told, the items I bought were just under three dollars. After this I went to a Walgreen to get a few items, including plastic sheet protectors as I just finished another page in stamp collecting. I found a Charlie Brown and Snoopy item as well, Snoopy on his doghouse- a 'Countdown to Christmas' ornament. It was discounted since it is now out of season. Nearby was a Pizza Hut, when I looked at the menu from the outside I saw no personal pan pizzas. But when I inquired inside I was told they were available. So I got one, a mushroom and pepperoni. For soft drinks there was a vending machine, accepting coins only- no dollar bills. So I needed to ask for change in order to use it. I had to wait a few minutes on the pizza, but they had benches inside so I waited there.
   When I got home I did watch some of the football playoff game. It was the second game, New England beat Indianapolis. I heard a little of the first game on the radio, Seattle beat new Orleans. I went through a box I hadn't looked at in a while. After moving some items and shredding others, I looked in a file cabinet and found an envelope with the orders I had placed with the History Book Club. as expected, There hadn't been one in a while- not since 2010. I had saved some pages from their catalogs describing certain books, but decided to downsize it some more. The envelope itself will be disposed of as it was torn, even after trying to keep it together with masking tape. I had really crammed it full so this didn't surprise me much. In many cases I just liked reading the article about the book, likely since it is free and I already have plenty of books.
   I did have a date, an early lunch at an Applebee's. I arrived late and said to my date that I fell when I went to get into my car, and I had made a wrong turn as well. We spoke for a while, even after our food was finished, so I would like to think this is a good sign. But I've learned this doesn't mean everything. After the date I went to print some things at the library and then went home, where I rested for a little while until I went out to Blockbuster.  

No comments:

Post a Comment