Sunday, January 5, 2014

Take Your Memory With You

        Recently I heard a song right after turning on my TV. I don't know what the show was, but I did look up the song. It was 'Take your memory with you' by Vince Gill. As usual, having key lyrics helped with looking it up online. I wrote down 'Take your memory with you when you go'. When I found it on Youtube I chose the video that was from the Grand Old Opry. It was about a relationship ending, it did make me think of another country song about relationships, 'Leaving here a better man' by Clint Black. So I found that Youtube video as well.
   There was very little on my schedule for the day, so I didn't venture out at all in this cold weather. I stayed in and watched the two football games. San Diego beat Cincinnati 27-10 in the first game and San Francisco beat Green Bay 23-20 in the second. San Francisco won on a last-second field goal. I also went through a tote bag I hadn't looked at in a while. It had forms in it from when I was a delegate at local political conventions in 2008. I shredded a decent amount of the papers since they were obsolete by now, and plenty of copies of my resume as it had addresses I no longer live at. I kept a small number to see the evolution of my resume. On one of these, when I lived in Des Plaines, I had written on the back of it. I wrote down various football stadiums, bowl games, or both, likely places that I wanted to see. A total of 19 are on this list. I did make it to many of them! I had four categories- West, Texas, Florida, and South. The first one was the U. of Washington in Seattle, and I did make it there for a vacation in 2007. Another was the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe, Arizona. I did make it to Sun Devil Stadium in 2005 and saw two games there, but it wasn't the Fiesta Bowl that I saw. Then there's the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, which I saw in late 2006. For Florida I have the Hall of Fame (now Outback) Bowl in Tampa, which I saw in early 2009. I had hoped to see the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. But when I was in the area the driver didn't want to stop there, wanted to avoid the rush-hour traffic. For Texas I made it to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the State Fair in 2010 for a Grambling football game. For the south I made it to three of them. One of these was the Peach (now Chick-Fil-A) Bowl in Atlanta, as I did see some Tae kwon do matches at the Georgia Dome where the game is played. I saw the Clemson football stadium in the Carolinas but did not attend a game there. Last is the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and I did see a Tulane football game at the Superdome in 2002. I did also list the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, but during my visit to see my college roommate in 2008 we saw a minor-league baseball game and I have no idea where the football stadium is. Four were listed at the bottom after all of the earlier listings were crossed out, and I've been to two of these four- Fiesta and Cotton Bowls, but not the Rose and Orange Bowls. For the Cotton Bowl I wrote 'Texas State Fair', maybe a game or concert besides just Oklahoma-Texas'. It is nice to get things crossed off my list, be a doer.
    I did get some more reading done on back issues of the paper, now read through the month of June. First was from VitaMN, and the Big Red 1 from the First National Bank building was on the cover. It was about an art festival in St. Paul. One picture was of Union Depot. There was mention of musician Jeff Buckley (and his dad, Tim) since a biopic was being released. Alexis on the Sexes, an advice columnist, tackled the issue of lending money to a casual date. There was an article about the death of Esther Williams, who swam her way to Hollywood stardom. And about the anniversary of D-Day from World War Two. It was disassembly time at the Ford plant in St. Paul. Flat Earth brewing moved to the Hamm's beer site. I liked how the article went through the history of Hamm's, including its cartoon bear ad campaign, and how it was a big East Side employer like Whirlpool and 3M. But all three have left now. City Pages had an article about 'The state of beer', microbreweries. One of these was 612 Brew, which I recall was a big sponsor of a comedy festival I saw in the past year.
  On the other side of the card I wrote on for notes, it continues with things like the George Zimmerman trial beginning. Dessa, the local musician, released a new album. I liked what she said about how most of her music is about herself, saying she can't tell a made-up story as well as a true one. There was a French movie 'Augustine', about a troubled maid. Carolyn Hax, the advice columnist, had a letter titled 'She wants wedding, he wants to elope'. The Mayan exhibit opened at the Science Museum. I think it just closed this weekend, and I didn't see it as it didn't appeal to me. At New York's JFK Airport, the Worldport terminal is endangered since it was abandoned by Delta Airlines. There was mention of trying to find The Griffin, a shipwreck in Lake Michigan that was led by famous explorer, La Salle, in the 1600s. Mandela's illness weighs on Obama, and Mandela passed away since then. There was a documentary movie, Secret Disco Revolution. Marc Rich, fugitive financier, dies in Switzerland. My ex once spoke of somebody who fled to Switzerland due to tax evasion. When I saw mention in the story of how this man dealt with minerals and metals, and fled to the town of Zug in particular, I am thinking this must be who had worked with my ex's dad.
   Last but not least, we have the funny columnist. He spoke of a PCA complaint, and how the sun will 'Make me look like a ranting fool'. Something about a weather-induced, bad mood epidemic. The weather is intended to keep us humble. There was something about moods and precipitation, and Twitter. What made me laugh was something about a statue of Bud Grant in the arms of the Pillsbury doughboy. Then there's why he will be out of juice the next time the power goes out. Something about buying batteries online at Amazon and not in stores. Finally there is the North Dakota tourism billboard, a puzzler- 'Arrive a guest, leave a legend'. He includes mention of South Dakota in it, about making a wrong turn and how slow the progress has been at the Crazy Horse Memorial. This billboard did make me think of one of my comedian friends, as the 'Extra murder' comic had a joke about it. He said you'll be a legend because 'You will be the coolest guy here'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment