Monday, January 6, 2014

Japanese Knotweed

       I stayed home from the comedy club tonight due to the cold weather, and I decided to read some more from back issues of the paper. I read the month of July tonight. This included the funny columnist, one of his columns was about Japanese knotweed, the latest invader of our fair state. We can say it's bamboo and paint the bears white with black accents, and presto- pandas. Everyone likes pandas, tourists will come. Earlier columns were about a MNDOT app promising happy trails for all drivers. It would have traffic updates on roads you're not on. Then there was one man's quest to make summer last. It was about back-to-school supply sales already happening.
    I read 6 papers for this month. Three were from Minneapolis, two from St. Paul, and one from St. Louis as it was the month of my annual visit for Cardinal baseball games. Egypt's old guard returns, cracks down. Liberty island, home of the Statue of Liberty, re-opens on a most fitting date, the 4th of July. It was the first time since Hurricane Sandy. There was an article about the movie '20 Feet from Stardom', a documentary about back-up singers. This was a movie I saw at theaters. The St. Paul paper had 'Stop, think, write'. It was about the 'Before I die' chalkboard downtown in the skyway. The streetcar arch at the state fair returns. The Minnesota Orchestra management and musicians have had behind the scenes talks with a mediator. It is one of the longest labor battles ever for a US orchestra, at nearly a year.
   Back to the St. Paul paper. Crews prepare to raze a building standing in the way of the new Lower- town ballpark. This is an event that I attended. The TV show 'Elementary' brings stateside Sherlock to London. Filming for the season premiere was at Paddington train station and Trafalgar Square. I know I did see the train station when I was in London in 2012. The once-mighty city of Detroit files for bankruptcy.
  On to the St. Louis paper. There was an article about sculptures at the Gen America building downtown, a place I took pictures of as I found an article stating some scenes from the movie 'Up in the air' were filmed there. There is a Post-Dispatch store, with plenty of Cardinal items, many of them collectibles, but not sure how many are in my price range. I subscribe to the Cardinal magazine and I ordered the Stan Musial commemorative edition when it was offered. I would have to check the website to see it anything appeals to me. South Dakota's Corn Palace, in Mitchell, renovations get city ok. This was a place I saw about a week later, as part of my South Dakota tour that included Mount Rushmore and Wall Drug. A look back had an article about food rationing in World War II. A new show, The Millers. This is one that I have seen, it is on CBS. What do you share when you swipe? This was an article about debit and credit card fraud at Schnucks grocery stores. It sounds a little like what just happened at Target. Breaking up Barnes and Noble could unlock its true value. But their PR department declined to comment about the company's plans. There are three main components to the business- retail, which is likely most of the stores. Then there's college, as I know many of the college bookstores are owned by them. Finally there is Nook, the e-reader business.
    I am watching The Fly Show, and they just covered the creepy deodorant commercial, I have seen it. This is an Old Spice commercial with 'Helicopter moms' in it when their sons are on dates.
   An E-bay order arrived, it was a comic postcard from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, so now there are 41 cards from this fair. I sent a holiday card to my aunt, who had sent me one. I had hoped to get a book returned to the History Book Club as I didn't order it, at midday. But the line was too long at the post office, just one clerk and I was the 8th in line. I didn't see myself making it to first in line in 10 minutes so I left. When I go back I will allow myself more time during my lunch to get it done.
   It wasn't too big of a deal getting to and from work today despite the weather. I saw that I was prepared so it meant getting out my green scarf to cover my face. It was knitted by my late grandma when I was young, it hadn't been used much lately. For a while it was the tie for my sleeping bag, that I no longer have. When I was walking home after work I heard somebody ask for a dollar, twice. If they were asking me I ignored them as I just wanted to get inside.     

No comments:

Post a Comment