Thursday, January 23, 2014

Buddy Bars, Dollar Store

   I went to an event at The Loft in Minneapolis after work tonight. When I was taking light rail back to the airport I saw a plastic shopping bag near my seat. It had an empty box of Buddy Bars in it along with bottles of Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper. I kept just one thing, which was three pennies. I tied up the bag and threw it in in the trash when I got to the airport.
   It was nice doing the member happy hour. At first I just wanted to finish my food before I moved around more and talk to people. I liked hearing somebody speak about his life, saying he is on disability but not legally blind despite having one of those red-tipped canes folded up in his bag. He said he did computer software design before going on disability. Then I happened to find somebody I knew from the other writer's organization I belong to. I hadn't seen her in a while so we had some catching up to do. I found out she was a language arts teacher before she started writing full-time. I learn more when I listen more, and I listened plenty tonight. After the happy hour we went into the auditorium and did a writing exercise before we saw presentations from writers. I liked what we did, getting out pen and paper and first writing down how we felt today. Then it was on to places we liked visiting or would like to visit. Then the final one was to find things from both to write about. I wrote down how I was anxious and nervous for a while, and liked visiting Chicago-land.
   When I got home I watched a syndicated rerun of 'Big Bang Theory'. It was one I had seen before, how the gang was on their way to a comic book convention and their car was stolen when they were doing a picture of themselves in 'Star Trek' outfits. When they get home their women are arguing about comic books as they bought one, wanting to understand their men better as to why they like those kinds of books. I also called a college roommate, first time in a few months. We are still trying to figure out when our schedules match up, but we're both kind of busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment