Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Jaclyn Smith Shoebox

       I went to the Timberwolves basketball game this evening, against the New Orleans Pelicans. I took the light rail to the game, and on the train I saw an empty Jaclyn Smith shoebox. I picked it up and put it in a trash bin at my stop near the Target Center. I know this was an actress that was on the TV show 'Charlie's Angels' in the 1970s.  The Wolves won the game 124-112, after leading 61-47 at halftime. I liked how the Wolves spread around the scoring, as I counted at least 6 players scoring in double figures from following the scoreboard. There were multiple technical fouls in it, which I know is not typical. I had to walk around the concourse at halftime to get the blood flowing as I was starting to fall asleep in my seat.
   This was my annual visit to see the Wolves, as I like the reminder of my 'Benchmark' visit to New Orleans. And it meant wearing the Mardi Gras beads I brought back from my 2002 visit at the game tonight. This is the first year the basketball team is know as the Pelicans. I knew it had been the name of their long-ago minor league baseball team, and Louisiana is known as the Pelican State. Then there's also the John Grisham book and movie 'Pelican Brief'.
   At midday I went to a sports bar and watched Iowa play in the Outback Bowl. Iowa lost 21-14 to LSU after trailing 14-0 at halftime. Iowa couldn't move the ball well, aside from an interception return and kick return, which set up both of their touchdowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment