Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sk8er Boi, Avril Lavigne

     I recall seeing Avril Lavigne in concert in Moline, Illinois, in 2005. I have one of her CDs and it includes the song 'Sk8er Boi'. I think it strikes a chord with many since it deals with rejection being a catalyst for proving somebody wrong. I know this is true about my own life, as I tell myself I have to keep trying despite being turned down for opportunities at work, or for my social life as well. I can have a hard time getting over being turned down, but what I've said is once I am picked I can let go of it for the most part. Some of the lyrics I underlined were 'Looks up at the man that she turned down' and 'To show pretty face what he's worth'.
    In particular, this meant applying for an exclusive special project that I knew I couldn't get before. My previous boss wouldn't give me good enough performance evaluations due to a personality conflict. I spoke with who was picked last year and I liked hearing about it. She said there is also a chance to meet more people in the program at Stamford, CT, but it means getting picked after making a presentation and another candidate in our office was picked at the end of the program. The eligibility period had just expired but was extended, my guess is few if anyone had applied from my department. I found the application form in the email we were sent this week and got it ready for my boss to sign off on. I handwrote it three times before I found one I liked, as my handwriting can be sloppy when I am in a rush. But my boss said he could read it fine. I guess it doesn't matter what some of them look like as long as the best one is the one that I submit.
   At the comedy club tonight, I liked hearing the show runner doing a 'What she likes about winter' joke. It means not having to see neighbors- it works as it's relatable. Somebody called me 'Laconic' and said it sounded better than 'Dour' before the show. 'Dour' is a term that I have embraced. I looked up laconic and compared, but I don't see myself as succinct so I still have to go with dour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment