Saturday, January 25, 2014

Johnny Carson, American Masters

     I watched public TV for the first time in a while tonight. I was pleased to find, at first, Antiques Road Show. They profiled a Babe Ruth membership club card, along with an artifact from the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. The next program pleased me even more. It was 'American Masters', and the biography was of  'Tonight Show' host Johnny Carson. One of the reasons I kept watching it was knowing they likely would have comments from Bob Newhart, and they did. This was an honest biography, covering all four of his marriages. I had one question answered due to one of his gigs before 'Tonight Show'. He was a game show host, it was called 'Who do you trust?' and it made me think of the 'Batman' movie from 1989 where Jack Nicholson as The Joker asked this question when he was about to dump $20 million on Gotham City. It was a ruse to kill 'The little people'.
   I attended two events in the afternoon. The first was a fundraiser for Dance Marathon at the University of Iowa, and of course I heard about it through the Alumni Association. It was held at the Loop bar in Minneapolis, during a game watch of the Iowa Hawkeye basketball game played at Northwestern. Iowa won big. I wanted to move on fairly quickly after the game ended, to get to the Twins Fan-fest a few blocks away. It was a quick tour, just under two hours, as that was all I had paid for when I parked at a meter. I noticed there were two portable toilets, in Iowa they are called 'Kybos', while walking over there. I was in need of one so I used it. I think those are available there was it was a staging area for the Mega-bus.
    I just finished watching a rerun of 'CSI Miami' and I liked hearing a Johnny Cash song at the end, appropriate to the scene as it was at a military funeral. The song had lyrics about 'It's like a soldier getting over the war'. I like Johnny Cash songs, and found it on Youtube. It was called 'Like a Soldier'. I ended up finding another song with a similar title by Eminem, called 'Like Toy Soldiers'. I like how Eminem is so honest in his music, and it is about a rap rivalry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment